2006 Denali 6.0 cam/heads/intake upgrade kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hammartime

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am a noob to this forum, I have an 06 Denali, I've owned it for 5 years, it has approximately 130k miles. It has a 5/3 drop, Flowmaster 44's, front & rear sway bars, and a cold air intake...Nothing special. It's time to do a little performance building on the motor. What's a good cam/heads/intake kit upgrade for it? I have thought about a supercharger, but I think I'd rather build the motor first, and see if that scratches my itch. I also plan to do some drive trainwork Iin the future and would like to hear what you guys have done to build your transmissions and Differentials with the AWD, or have anyof you converted to 2wd? Thanks in advance!

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do a 4l80 trans swap with a 3-3200k tight converter, before scratching that itch.

After that some 243/799 heads milled .30 with a 08-12 intake and a set of long tubes.
Cam choice will be yours.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hammartime

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Probably not a bad idea, but that alone definitely won't cure my itch.

OP
OP
H

Hammartime

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just looking for a cam/heads/intake combo that you guys have experience with, not trying to go all out....Yet.

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then what you want is in my first post.
With right cam your looking at a easy 100hp upgrade.
If you want more. Install a 150 shot wet no2 kit.

But given the cost of those upgrades and the np2 kit. You could easily just install a on3 turbo kit for aprox same cost and be instantly over 500hp

OP
OP
H

Hammartime

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Excellent I will look into that, I didn't see the edit of your first post. Thanks Doug.

---------- Post added at 07:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 AM ----------

That turbo just might be what I'm looking for....Then when I blow up my motor and tranny I can go with the 408 stroker :)

Mr. Merk

Reaction score
The 317 head ports match those of the 243/799. I don't see a reason to swap, you would benefit from getting yours milled a little and a nice port job.

For a cam I'd recommend the stage 2 drop in cam from Cam Motion. A buddy used one on his stock 5.3 and picked up 42whp on the worlds stingiest dyno. It's made to be a usable truck cam without any compromises.
http://store.cammotion.com/60l-truck-364ci-early-94-compression-and-late-100-compression-2

Unless you swap to a 4l80, you can get a stock converter from a 4.2L TB. On my 5.3 it stalls 2600rpm. With your 6.0 it would be even higher and you can pick them up for about $120 if you talk sweet to a parts manager. #12491321

As far as the intake goes, the newer style is better, if you've got the money I'd pony up for a FAST or Holley intake.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hammartime

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If i upgrade to that tranny, will it work with my awd? Or do I have to change it to 2wd?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahmedsz