2005 yukon steering wheel volume controls WACK

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mchris

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello experts!

First post. Been browsing this forum for the last week and have found a ton of useful information. Thanks!! We purchased a 2005 Yukon XL denali for towing our boat and family trips.

One thing I really missed from my previous car was the steering wheel controls. The Yukon has these but they are behaving strangely and was hoping someone could give me some advice as to what could be causing the issue.

All buttons on the wheel work with the exception of the volume buttons. When you press the "volume up" button it turns the volume down. When you press the volume down button it "seeks down" to the next radio station. The seek up and down buttons work as they should.

I ordered and installed the replacement dorman switch on amazon and it did not fix the problem.

Does this sound like a programming issue or something else?

When we purchased the rig it had a very large kenwood remote in the center console so I would assume the PO had an aftermarket stereo in there. Also, the radio was "locked" and had to be sent to the dealership to unlock.

Thanks for the help!!!

FullSizeRender.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

clandr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it was a DIY job, it is entirely possible that the PO screwed up some wiring that goes to the controls on your steering wheel when he/she re-installed the factory head unit. I'd take it to your local audio install shop and ask them to diagnose (check the wiring). They might be able to fix you up for less than $100.

Nice truck! How many miles?

OP
OP
M

mchris

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
93,000 miles... I payed for them though. Been looking for a while and saw a lot of rigs with over 150k that were closer to what I wanted to spend but when I came across this one it felt like paying a little more money for fewer miles would pay off either in decreased chance of major failure or when I end up selling it.

I was kind of thinking it might be hacked behind there. I will take a look over the weekend and see what it looks like behind the factory deck. How do you even get it to be "locked", does that mean the head unit is out of another vehicle?

clandr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, most likely so. He probably took out his factory original, sold it, installed the aftermarket, then decided he wanted to put a stock stereo back into it so he had to buy another factory radio that came out of a different truck. When you install a stereo that is not matched to the VIN, it has to be reprogrammed by the dealer.

OP
OP
M

mchris

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry for the long wait for my reply. I looked at the wiring behind the dash a long time ago and did not see any issues. All the wiring looks good, there are 2 extra wires in there (red and yellow) that are not factory. I checked and they are ignition and constant 12v. Must have been from the PO install.

I decided to just live with it for a while and wait until I could afford an aftermarket stereo with all the adapters in the hopes that it is something to do with the factory stereo.

I recently purchased the following;
- pioneer 3600bhs double din Bluetooth stereo
- GMOS-04 adapter
- ASWC-1 steering wheel adapter

I got everything plugged in and working. When I went to program the ASWC the first step is to turn on the ignition and repeatedly press the volume up button... moment of truth... nothing... Cannot program the ASWC, it flashes the green light 6 quick times, which according to the instructions means it cannot detect the vehicle signal wires. It then flashes Red 6 times quickly which indicates that it detected the pioneer head unit.

At this point I will try to contact the ASWC manufacturer and see what they say but I think I will be SOL until I can get the volume up button working correctly.

I am wondering now how the actual wiring for the steering wheel controls works. Could this be caused by a bad clockspring? The DIC buttons work as well as the controls on the upper left of the wheel and the airbag light is NOT on. The only issue is the 4 buttons on the upper right of the wheel. Is this some kind of modulation or are there wires for each button in the harness.

Below is the problem I am having the steering wheel buttons are on the left and what pressing the button actually does is on the right.
SW Button --> What is does
volume up --> volume down
volume down --> radio seek up
seek up --> radio seek down
seek down --> nothing

Never thought I would want to have steering wheel controls so bad but it drives me crazy having them there and not working!!!

Thanks again!

Mr. 960

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the switches send a pulse signal to the BCM, and then the BCM tells the radio what to do. If everything else is working I suspect the clock spring is okay. The fact that some of the controls are opposite, leads me to believe it may be a BCM problem????

Mr. 960

OP
OP
M

mchris

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Success!! I found the issue.

So I started looking in the dash as I figure the PO must have hosed this up somehow. I could not find any issue with the stock wiring. I did see a few extra wires behind the stereo, namely a red and yellow wire. I started tracing the red wire back, down and under the steering wheel. Low and behold there is a small blue box. A pac SWI-RC interface to be exact, it was pretty much disconnected with all the wires coiled up and taped to it. However there was one wire that was coming out of it and attached to a light green wire under the steering wheel, I disconnected that wire and taped up the bare wire it was attached to and hooked everything back up.

BAM! It is all working perfectly now. It appears that just having that PAC SWI-RC wire attached to the wire below the steering wheel (I assume it is the signal wire for the steering wheel controls) had the whole upper right side of the steering wheel controls wacked out.

Once I did this the GMOS-04 / ASWC-1 setup programmed right away using the now working volume up button, it recognized the vehicle and stereo and all the buttons work perfectly.

Thanks for all the help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NSTBLFKR43