2004 Yukon 2wd - shock replacement questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

asd123

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys I have tried searching for some of my questions but I haven't had much luck on what I am looking for.

I have a 2004 Yukon 2wd with torsion bars but has 175,000 miles on it. Overall the truck drives OK however it can be rough over potholes and expansion joint etc. . I recently put new tires on it so I have ruled that out.

I believe that the truck has OEM shocks front and rear but I wanted to confirm. The front shocks are blue. I have attached a photo of the rear shocks. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that these are the self adjusting shocks that are OEM.

Does anyone know of a lifetime of OEM shocks on the trucks? I was thinking about upgrading shocks but I am not quite sure what to do? I'm looking for the best riding comfortable option.

In short am I better off replacing everything OEM or after market?

Thanks in advance!
IMG_4001.JPG
IMG_3998.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

asd123

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Also, can anyone confirm that the picture I posted of the rears are the ZW7 PREMIUM SMOOTH RIDE NIVOMAT? My glove box is stamped with ZW7 so I've confirmed that!

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

asd123

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What is the best front shock replacement? I'm going to try this before swapping the rear nivomats.

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how much do you want to spend? Order online or off the shelf @ big box store on the corner?

Keep in mind that the rear Nivomat shocks are exclusive to the stock zW7 springs. Unless you replace the rear springs, you must buy an OEM replacement shock that performs the same way;

I'm looking @ Rancho replacement shocks sold through NAPA warehouse up the street from me.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/RS_RS5262?searchCategory=7.11&searchIndex=App

I'm still trying to decipher "important info"
w/o z55 autoride, except w/zW7 premium

Does that mean it can be used on zW7?

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bilstein 4600, if its got the connector on the top of the stock shock buy the resistors on ebay.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
IMO, go with the Bilstein shocks. Had many sets on many vehicles over the years, see my age, and never had a problem.

Tkrysl

Reaction score
Did you decide on a shock? My 2001 Suburban 2500 also rides rough like a hay wagon. I'm at 165k.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick