2003 tahoe service engine soon light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

droppedHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys, new to the forum and have a question for whoever can answer it...
i have a 03 tahoe and just had some work done on it (new fuel pump)
it wouldnt start for some reason. i had a mechanic look at it and he said there was air in the gas line. he went under the hood, messed with the throttle a few times and it started up.

drove it for 10 minutes and parked. then it took almost 5 minutes to get it started again....
on the way home last night it took forever getting it started but at least the service engine soon light popped up. so now i know it has a code...
personally l think its the spark plugs or the clogged injectors b/c the starter isnt ticking when i try to start it.
i did put a synthetic fuel injector cleaner in it yesterday with about 15 gallons of gas...
truck drove fine but the engine doesnt react to the throttle position well... thats why i think its a bad or failed plug somewhere... though if 1 is bad i'll change them all.

is there a way to get the code with out having to go to autozone? b/c im not sure if the truck will fire back up if i turn it off at autozone...
with my old car i was able to read the codes by a few twist if the key and the code would pop up where the mileage is
i know a few good mobile mechanics that will come to my house and change the spark plugs for me, if thats the issue

axekick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt its the plugs unless you're getting a misfire code. The throttle not responding well could be from any sensor going bad. You have to get the code pulled. Autozone should be able to pull the code with the engine running. Where are you? If you happened to be around Austin I'd come pull the code for you.

OP
OP
D

droppedHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im in a suburb of atlanta, lawrenceville.
i just got the code checked. its coming up with a possible maf sensor,fuel injector issue, o2 sensor or ignition i believe. i left the receipt in the truck...
they told me to toss a seafoam in the truck and see how it performs.
its feeling better already...
im sure its the injector (bank 1 and 2 said it was running lean)
how many injectors are on our trucks? b/c at napa they're $93 each...

OP
OP
D

droppedHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok the code is p0171
autozone said it was running lean... an once again its super hard to get it started
the maf seems fine and i changed the o2 sensors last year.

however... with the truck off, the fuel pressure valve... if i press it in shouldnt fuel spit out? b/c it doesnt....

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:14 PM ----------

could it be the fuel pressure regulator? i pulled the vacuum hose on it but no gas was in it

Mac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. Clean MAF Sensor
2. Check Fuel pressure..and fuel regulator
3. Maybe dirty fuel filter..

OP
OP
D

droppedHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cleaned the maf already
Brand new fuel filter installed
Brand new fuel pump installed but I have very low pressure

I primed the truck a few times and could hear the pump on.... let the truck on ignition and pressed the valve in... only got a few drops of fuel come out...shouldn't it spray out?

Mac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Brand new fuel pump installed but I have very low pressure"

That new pump is either junk or not installed properly.....or clogged line.

Call that jerky mechanic and have him convince you with a fuel gauge that his work could hold pressure.....

OP
OP
D

droppedHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
he's being a serious ass so i dont even wanna deal with him. do you think it could be b/c i didnt get a delphi or ac delco pump? i got a pump from a high flow fuel systems.

do 2001-2006 tahoes all have the same pump? b/c i was thinking about buying a used one and getting a new mechanic to work on the truck.

Mac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brand name has nothing to do with it. If you have a working pump and installed properly then you're good.....

All I could say is that, you need to work it out with the mechanic or someone and have them test the fuel system before you go buying more stuff....

TunasTwins

2005 Tahoe LS
Reaction score
Your only running lean on one side with that code. P0174 is for the passengers side, 171 drivers side(bank 1). Id think if it was the MAF you would throw both codes. DEFINATELY folow up on the fuel pump! If you want me to scan it for you I'm in Buckhead and I like free beer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Magnetman59