2002 Yukon Air Conditioner Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cuthbert

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought a used 2002 Yukon with 180,000 miles. It is well used with no signs of abuse. My air conditioner seems to have stopped working all of a sudden. It had been working great all summer. I have not used it for 2 months. When I went to go turn it on recently no cold air would blow but it does blow. When I went to refill the Freon the pressure gauge that comes with the can read ZERO, I brought it up to 45psi. At that point something started kicking on and the pressure would fluctuate from 25 psi to 45 psi. It would go to 25 psi when the “thing” turned on. With this done, there is still no cold air.
Late last summer I would see some small puddles of water under the car around the area of the dash board. When I investigated I found the condenser would accumulate a lot of moisture when I ran the AC. I did not see this as a problem.
I am mechanically inclined but trouble shooting this problem as well as dealing with Freon in any major AC part replacement is beyond me. I mostly change my oil and brakes. I am also in a new town with very little contacts and don’t know how to go about finding a trustworthy affordable mechanic. I am planning on trying http://www.bobkinggm.com/Service if I can’t find a workable solution here. I guess my questions are:
Any idea what is wrong and is it a big deal to fix?
What should I expect a shop to charge?
Any suggestions in finding a good mechanic?

sfett46

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought a used 2002 Yukon with 180,000 miles. It is well used with no signs of abuse. My air conditioner seems to have stopped working all of a sudden. It had been working great all summer. I have not used it for 2 months. When I went to go turn it on recently no cold air would blow but it does blow. When I went to refill the Freon the pressure gauge that comes with the can read ZERO, I brought it up to 45psi. At that point something started kicking on and the pressure would fluctuate from 25 psi to 45 psi. It would go to 25 psi when the “thing” turned on. With this done, there is still no cold air.
Late last summer I would see some small puddles of water under the car around the area of the dash board. When I investigated I found the condenser would accumulate a lot of moisture when I ran the AC. I did not see this as a problem.
I am mechanically inclined but trouble shooting this problem as well as dealing with Freon in any major AC part replacement is beyond me. I mostly change my oil and brakes. I am also in a new town with very little contacts and don’t know how to go about finding a trustworthy affordable mechanic. I am planning on trying http://www.bobkinggm.com/Service if I can’t find a workable solution here. I guess my questions are:
I also have a 2002 Yukon with 127k miles. I'm having the exact same problem. I also noticed a lot of condensation puddles beforehand. It worked yesterday until the wife and I left the grocery. It only blows hot air

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chances are you have a slow leak in your system. The compressor clutch won't engage with low to no freon. Look at the front of the compressor and that "thing" u hear is probably the clutch engaging. It will turn the same speed as the belt when it engages and could be reacting the system getting a slight charge. Have a professional shop put some real gauges on it to see the high and low pressures. Chances are it just needs a charge. Freon is not cheap but a good shop can tell u how many lbs low you are and should be able to do a leak test. I don't trust that ac in can stuff.

My truck did something similar after sitting for a few months. Had the system professionally charged and no issues since.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

MidwestMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Original compressor? I know they had a TSB for these. With way the compressor was mounted it would collect fluid and have issues on start. They did have a reflash to make the compressor delay start after the motor.

I had a new compressor installed, and learned about filling them when I found out the shop did not do a good job...

Basically, it is only taking freon when the compressor clutch kicks on, and the compressor clutch keeps kicking off due to the low pressure switch saying that there is not enough freon. You'll watch the gauge kicking up and down with the compressor. It took forever with mine, and what helped me hang in there is I just started timing it with my phone. Each time the compressor kicked on it lasted a little longer, so I knew I was making progress. Eventually it just kept running.

But, keep in mind there are not any freon monsters eating your refrigerant. If it is low, you have a leak. If you're lucky, it is one of the slow ones that just needs the IV to be hooked back up once or twice a year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz