2001 Yukon XL Coolant/Heat Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Thank you very much Guys! Got the replacement part this weekend. Installed it, de-greased the engine, and so far no leak! I appreciate the help!

jesse53

Reaction score
Cool, glad to help..been playing w/ vehicles for 42 years, so if I have an idea to help, that's what we are here for.

Bluerdg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Check the heater hose CONNECTIONS at the fire wall. Two hoses run up from water pump on the passenger side, clamped above motor and go in side by side just below winshield cowling. Fittings are plastic snap connectors with O ring seals. The material has a tendency to degrade almost like it has dry rotted. They are in two pieces 1 piece is set in fire wall and the other is an insert on end of the hose. I had a coolant leak that was showing itself at front end of motor. Location led me to think it was WP, Thermostat housing, heater connections at WP or possibly the lower radiator hose. After ruling out all of these I began examining the heater hoses for possible pin holes. I pulled hoses loose from the twin clip and found one side was wet under the hose. What I ended up finding was that the connector barb had begun to fail and fluid was leaking from the end of the hose and running down the hose to a low point then dripping. Never saw the stream on the underside of the hose on earlier inspections. Be careful when disconnecting the fitting at the firewall so that you don't damage the thru wall end, but I found an OEM replacement piece for the hose end on the rack at Advance.

Reaction score
Check the heater hose CONNECTIONS at the fire wall. Two hoses run up from water pump on the passenger side, clamped above motor and go in side by side just below winshield cowling. Fittings are plastic snap connectors with O ring seals. The material has a tendency to degrade almost like it has dry rotted. They are in two pieces 1 piece is set in fire wall and the other is an insert on end of the hose. I had a coolant leak that was showing itself at front end of motor. Location led me to think it was WP, Thermostat housing, heater connections at WP or possibly the lower radiator hose. After ruling out all of these I began examining the heater hoses for possible pin holes. I pulled hoses loose from the twin clip and found one side was wet under the hose. What I ended up finding was that the connector barb had begun to fail and fluid was leaking from the end of the hose and running down the hose to a low point then dripping. Never saw the stream on the underside of the hose on earlier inspections. Be careful when disconnecting the fitting at the firewall so that you don't damage the thru wall end, but I found an OEM replacement piece for the hose end on the rack at Advance.

Thanks for sharing. I was able to fix the issue with everyone's help. I have to say, this is my first time trying to replace something in the car, very close to the engine. It was quite an experience, but was not that bad at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo