1999 Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stu

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When I bought my 99 Tahoe, it came with a complete maintenance file that show'd a fresh set of Akibono brake pads installed 5K miles before I bought it. OK, I thought the brakes were OK, not the greatest, but OK. I'm a retired Mercedes mechanic (30 years) so I knew the brakes wouldn't be up to what I had been working on. 30,000 miles later, examining the brake pads, they showed no wear. That was too strange for me so I ordered up a set of AC Delco OE pads and rotors and we put them in. The Akibono really measured almost to new spec even though they had been in there for 30K miles. Talk about night and day. Just backing out of the garage to go bed the brakes in I felt a stronger brake pedal than before. Now that the brakes are bedded, this truck has really nice brakes. They are quite strong for a disk/drum setup. I regularly back up and brake to reset the rears. As an experienced mechanic I can't believe I didn't check the brakes before, but oh well, live and learn.

Stu

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BattleBorn