1996 2 door lift without blocks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vtx1800sba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am new to this forum. I will be purchasing a low mileage 2 door tahoe in the next couple of weeks. I want to put a modest lift on it; prolly around 3-4". Have a question. I've never been a fan of blocks under springs and am wondering if I could accomplish my lift by say using a set of 6" lift springs perhaps from skyjacker in combination with 3" lift for the front end. Oh I'd want the wedges to clock the axles for pinion angle. But what do you all think? Am I dreamin? Will also be putting on a set of tall skinny tires 255/85R 16s. Please advise. :hands:

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you are going for 3-4" lift i would NOT use 6" lift springs, BUT yes you should be able to find a set of springs in the aftermarket or have a spring shop re-arch your current leafs / build you a set to achive your desired lift.

i have had absolutely no problems with my blocks in the rear of mine and they have been on the hoe for 3 years. planning on throwing some 6" lift springs under it or larger if i get the SAS parts lined up :D

OP
OP
V

vtx1800sba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you are going for 3-4" lift i would NOT use 6" lift springs, BUT yes you should be able to find a set of springs in the aftermarket or have a spring shop re-arch your current leafs / build you a set to achive your desired lift.

i have had absolutely no problems with my blocks in the rear of mine and they have been on the hoe for 3 years. planning on throwing some 6" lift springs under it or larger if i get the SAS parts lined up :D
Why no on the 6" springs?

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they will give you 6" lift and you stated you only wanted 3-4" lift....

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^ for the shackle flip you will also need a zero rate to relocate the axle back a little...this will also add an inch I think

steamroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^ for the shackle flip you will also need a zero rate to relocate the axle back a little...this will also add an inch I think

Good point Kris

Something else I neglected to mention is that it will affect your pinion angle....I ordered a tapered zero rate from JKW.offroad milled at an 8* angle. If you go this route you will have to measure since it may vary a few degrees on a different truck.

Can't say how lifted leaf springs ride but with a block I had some wheel hop, with an add-a-leaf and the shackle flip it's just about perfect, if anything it could be a bit firmer

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Changing piuonion angles was a ***** to fix for me. BUT I learned a lot. U joint phasing can be tough to get right. With a standard drive shaft you need to match the angle coming off the transfer case with the pionion angle. So with a standard block lift or springs....no shim or angled block really needs to be used. But when you do the shackle flip you are rotating the pinion up and reducing the angle at the pionion so a tapered zero rate or a shim is needed.

Totally different is you use a CV shaft. The pionion angle needs to be with in 2* of teh angle of teh driveshaft. Basically phasing the second U joint with teh U joint at the pionion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greygranny