17" Wheels Going To 22"????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scotto2323

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to know everything about going from 17" to 22" wheels. What has to be done to have TPMS work properly? Stock tires run at like 33psi but I think the new wheels will like to run about 42psi. I would like to buy new sensors.

Are all GM TP sensors the same? Will I get warnings on the DIC if I install new sensors in the wheels and run a higher pressure?

How do I program new sensors. Does the BCM have to be programmed for new sensors or can I just to the simple programming that you do on a tire rotation for example when you just let air out or add air to the tires?

Please let me know all I need to know.
Thanks

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Damn dude I say you just go for the solid 24 then.
You will have no TPMS problems at all, I suggest just taking the old ones out thr old 17s and intsalling in the new wheels. Everythin will run fine after that. If you get new sensors they need to be programmed to the car, which makes things harder and more expensive for yourself. Of you want to sell the old ones and be able to say that they have TPMS, go to TireRack and buy 4 315MHZ sensors and send them with the wheels when you sale them. Either way, they would have to program it to their car so they shouldn't mind, plus you can be able to say they're new.

By the way, drop it with the new wheels too, Pedders is good.

OP
OP
S

Scotto2323

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not doing the 24" because I am putting some A/T tires and all terrian looking wheels on. So if I buy new sensors I have to have them programmed? What type of programming is required Tech2? How much does dealer charge for programming?

mdtahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can program the new sensors exactly the same as you do when you rotate the tires.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
You don't need a tool to reprogram, is just a hassle that could be skipped. Lik MD said, it can be done with the DIC.

OP
OP
S

Scotto2323

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats what I thought. I will take the 10 minutes to walk around and let air out of the tires to set them, but will I get warnings on the DIC if I run them at a higher pressure then the 33psi I run now? Or do the sensors just work off the gain and loss of pressure to warn you when they are losing air?

preston

Reaction score
I get messages on my DIC when the tires get any higher that 43psi. I set my tires to 38-40 psi and don't have any problems. If I set them any higher, when the tire warms up I get the warnings on the DIC. From what I recall from all the post about this is that you can't reprogram the computer to different psi's, but that just what I've read, if someone knows for sure through trial and error let us know.

tool2269

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't need a tool to reprogram, is just a hassle that could be skipped. Lik MD said, it can be done with the DIC.

or call around the local chain tire shops (discount tire) and ask if they'll do it for free, using the tool. mine did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
n240sxlover