09 yukon xl denali engine failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chancefort87

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey first time posting, I purchased a denali last year was in the vehicle when we drove it a couple hours parked and went to start back up and motor knocked horribly. The driver shut it of and it never would crank over. I purchased it for 3k thinking a couple thousand bucks would hopefully fix it.
Fluids never mixed, no oil leaks. Nothing it sat in my driveway for a year just had it hauled to shop. They said hole in block, and a 10k price tag for new motor. Any advice on where to get a motor cheaper. I'm located northeast Oklahoma. And is that a reasonable quote for motor and the swap. Appreciate any input on my situation.
Ps now wife kinda mad cause another stupid expensive project.

OP
OP
C

Chancefort87

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Little back story, I also have a 91 d350 with cummins 12 valve with 177k original miles. First project started( part of wife's irritation lol) I've always wanted to do a swap with that motor in something else, so question is,
Is it possible or even remotely a good idea. And what would something like that cost? Just for ***** and grins.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Welcome from SoCal. You picked a good time to chime in on this. Below are two reads on an 09 YXL Denali owner who went the route of replacing his L9H with a rebuild as well as a 2012 YXL Denali owner who went another route and added an L96 6.0L from a Reg gas + e85 3/4 ton truck. Both are non AFM motors. Both drop in and use all existing ECU & BCM without any mods on your 09.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

As @swathdiver stated above, once back on the road, she will love it.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Little back story, I also have a 91 d350 with cummins 12 valve with 177k original miles. First project started( part of wife's irritation lol) I've always wanted to do a swap with that motor in something else, so question is,
Is it possible or even remotely a good idea. And what would something like that cost? Just for ***** and grins.

you got a 6.2L now and want to swap in a 12v?

I mean anything is doable, but I feel like it would come down to how much of the stock truck stuff do you want to work. these newer trucks constantly talk to like 20 sometimes modules, if you start pulling the ecm and tcm out of the loops I'm not sure what all would work, if anything. you could replace everything in the cluster with mechanical thou if you wanted too.

being a Denali you probably have the the auto havc and all, I don't think any of that would work anymore. a guy here does have a thread about swapping to a manual hvac thou. it's kinda working.

I don't know man, I think keeping it nice to drive over a noisey Cummins would be better. let the youtuber do the wild swaps haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar