05 Yukon Denali Climate Control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GCDenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently purchased an 05 Yukon Denali. When I start the truck I hear a strange grinding noise under the steering wheel.
I noticed the gear actuator under the driver dash is continually moving back and forth. When I set the climate control to blow from the dash vents the noise stops. Now the climate control will randomly turn off.

Any Ideas? Im thinking there might be some sort of vacuum leak thats causing the actuator to keep cycling.

Ive also got a "service airbag" and "service TPMS" message. Any advice on this would be helpful

I was hoping someone might have had a similar issue and could give me some advice!

Thanks!

mals

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased an 05 Yukon Denali. When I start the truck I hear a strange grinding noise under the steering wheel.
I noticed the gear actuator under the driver dash is continually moving back and forth. When I set the climate control to blow from the dash vents the noise stops. Now the climate control will randomly turn off.

Any Ideas? Im thinking there might be some sort of vacuum leak thats causing the actuator to keep cycling.

Ive also got a "service airbag" and "service TPMS" message. Any advice on this would be helpful

I was hoping someone might have had a similar issue and could give me some advice!

Thanks!

I had a similar noise / issue with the passenger side hvac in my '05 that had dual zones. Turned out to be the blend door actuator. They are electronic not vacuum operated, and that movement is the controller trying to calibrate the position of the actuator. People sat that you can take them apart and clean the position contact pads, but for how hard it was to get to the actuator on the passenger side I opted to install a new one so I wouldn't have to pull the dash out to get to it again. From what I understand the driver's side is easier to get to from the foot well.

As for the TPMS message, I also had that. Turns out that 3 of the 4 elven year old sensors had dead batteries (which is to be expected since they have a 10 max life expectancy). I purchased 4 new AC Delco sensors from Amazon and had them installed, balanced, and programed at a local tire shop.

I personally haven't had the airbag message, but have seen it come up here a few times. I think the first thing to do is pop the steering wheel airbag and make sure the two wire clips on the back of the bag are firmly seated, then check the passenger one over the glove box. After that I think a few people have tracked it down to the impact sensors in the bumper. If you don't want to hunt for the problem find someone with a GM Tech 2 scanner and they should be able to ask the BCM
exactly where the fault in the system is that is causing the message.

Good luck, and let us know what you find.

OP
OP
GCDenali

GCDenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for the very informative information. I'll look into replacing the actuator. As for the TPMS do you know if you can use 07-09 TPMS with the 05 Denali? Im looking to upgrade the wheels and was curious if I bought OEM wheels used with the TPMS if they would work.

Thanks!

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Thank you for the very informative information. I'll look into replacing the actuator. As for the TPMS do you know if you can use 07-09 TPMS with the 05 Denali? Im looking to upgrade the wheels and was curious if I bought OEM wheels used with the TPMS if they would work.

Thanks!

No, the TPMS are different from 03-06 and 07+. You will need to get them.

mals

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, the TPMS are different from 03-06 and 07+. You will need to get them.
Correct. I did the same thing, bought NNBS wheels and needed to install '05-06 TPMS sensors. I put the 07+ in my old rims and sold them on Craigslist.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645