'05 5.3 Tahoe LT - replacing busted cat (have questions)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

patlsu02

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum so excuse the newbness. I'll search for additional info moving forward.

I have a busted catalytic converter on my 2005 Tahoe. It's rattling like crazy. It's a 5.3 liter, LT package, 151,000 miles. It's going on 11 years old and I'm reaching the point where things need replacing. Financially, I'm still about 2 years away from purchasing a new vehicle so I'd like to prolong the life of this one. I just recently replaced belts, hoses, water pump, and heater core connectors that are prone to deterioration for less than $400. I'd like to put some money back into the Tahoe again with this cat busted.

I've pulled the whole Y assembly down after removing the transmission cross member. This was an all day job since one of nuts had a rounded head. So it's out and definitely rattling. I've found new Y assemblies for $300-450 online and considering one that could just bolt back in. My question is should I be looking at replacing anything else while this stuff is removed? Muffler, etc? It'd be nice to get good performance or even sound cool but based on the model but I don't want the bark to be louder than the bite. I am interested in getting a good reliable exhaust system that's not too costly, has a good sound, and could increase performance. You guys have any ideas or if it's even worth looking into?

Thanks,

Pat

Ripsaw223

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well I'm new too but have had my 02 since lol 02 and I had the same problem once but I put high flow cats in and just in case I replaced the oxygen sensors just in case didn't want to get back down Thier for a second round

SLCHOE

ASE Master Certified + (L1)
Reaction score
When you buy the y-pipe assembly make sure you have the right cats on it. Under your hood is a VECI label:

emlabel1.jpg

(nevermind the red rectangle and arrow. Just an image I pulled off google. The info you are looking for starts with "This vehicle conforms to...")

If it says it conforms to California Emissions, make sure you tell the supplier that it does (if you are going aftermarket). If you purchase the y-pipe from a dealer, make sure they go off of your VIN.

Flexx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you live somewhere that emissions tests? If not just get an exhaust shop to weld you up and run without cats, will need a tune though because the O2 sensor will throw a code.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
318dukedog