04 Tahoe Towing Upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ckeeler11

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all. I have a 2004 Z71 with 180K bone stock except 22" wheels, looking to buy a travel trailer around 6000 lbs. and want to set up the Tahoe to tow it. The motor still seems strong no major issues. the transmission was rebuilt about 30K ago. I was thinking intake, exhaust (headers and cat back), 4.10's, tune, and maybe cam.

Looking for recommendations and or if it is even worth it.

Thanks,

chris

Last edited:

BirchyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd add a brake controller, towing mirrors and have the transmission and differentials serviced. Wait on the performance parts until you know how it does.

Big Buttons

The SS Burb
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do the intake, headers (longtubes), exhaust, and tune. See how you like it. Then if you want more get a cam.

Mine woke up pretty nicely with the above mentioned. Then I added a cam and stall.

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you haven't already, add a trans cooler. That will definitely help with the life of your transmission when towing. Also, I would go with either lower gears or a cam that will add more off-idle tq, especially since you're towing with the larger wheels. Keep in mind with 4wd, you'll have to swap both front and rear diff gears.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

ckeeler11

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I will be adding a trans cooler and air bags just forgot to add them to the list. the brake controller is another good item I will add to the list.

Anybody have real world experience with towing a trailer that size with a Tahoe?

docster

Reaction score
I tow a 25 ft airstream. About 5k lbs with my Denali. Tows great. Plenty of power

Just make sure you get a good brake controller and that your brakes are up to date. Get a decent weight distributing hitch with anti sway. Most importantly a bigger trans cooler. Skip on performance parts until you tie a few times and see how you like it and what you want more of.

notboating

Reaction score
What's the towing capacity of your tahoe? A brake controller is a good thing, you probably won't have much trouble getting rolling, stopping efficiently will be the problem. Depending on where you live and tow you may not need to do any performance upgrades.

OP
OP
C

ckeeler11

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What's the towing capacity of your tahoe? A brake controller is a good thing, you probably won't have much trouble getting rolling, stopping efficiently will be the problem. Depending on where you live and tow you may not need to do any performance upgrades.

According to the sticker 6800. I live in the desert and will be towing up to the mountains so from 1500' to 6500'.

---------- Post added at 07:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

I would consider the nnbs brake upgrade

Will have to look into this not familiar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia