04 Tahoe Steering Column Noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danzigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '05 has started making a rattling type sound in the sterring every now an then. It seems to have just started recently. What could this be?

Gurba

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My Suburban does the same thing but only while turning the steering wheel one full turn or so. More like a rubbing noise than a grinding noise though. I don't get the "clunk" noise at all. I followed a Youtube DIY video and took out the lower bolt from the I.S.S and pushed it in and out like 30 times before bolting it back up. Didn't make one difference at all. Maybe time for a new one I guess...

Grinding may not be the correct description. It's like something that is supposed to be lubricated isn't. But I guess it's the steering colomn anyway.

Gurba

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does anybody have any other suggestions to what might be causing the out-of-lubricant rubbing sound? When the car is parked all you have to do is turn the steeringwheel half a round back and forth to produce the sound.

brian.roberts.1293

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Suburban does the same thing but only while turning the steering wheel one full turn or so. More like a rubbing noise than a grinding noise though. I don't get the "clunk" noise at all. I followed a Youtube DIY video and took out the lower bolt from the I.S.S and pushed it in and out like 30 times before bolting it back up. Didn't make one difference at all. Maybe time for a new one I guess...
Did anyone fix this noise. I purchased my truck about six months ago and it has done it since I got it. It is driving me nuts. Please help. Mine sounds like a rubber boot gets rubbed by the turning steering shaft.
Does anybody have any other suggestions to what might be causing the out-of-lubricant rubbing sound? When the car is parked all you have to do is turn the steeringwheel half a round back and forth to produce the sound.

from my Galaxy S7 Edge

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YETI the Yukon