Wrong oil filter for 99 Tahoe w/350 engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K7KY

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Changing oil on our 99 Tahoe w/350 engine, I discovered I had the wrong new filter. To my surprise, there is an adapter attached to the stock filter flange that mounts a smaller filter positioned on an angle from vertical. Interfering with the location of the usual filter is a stabilizer attached to engine & frame. Is this OEM or aftermarket? I've not seen this on any small block Chev, but it's been a long time since I was a mechanic. The fitted filter is about 25% smaller than original. That doesn't seem wise.

OP
OP
K7KY

K7KY

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the images. I see in your 1st image what appears to be a stabilizer bar, similar to mine. The stabilizer goes between bellhousing and motormount on both sides of engine. I assume the adapter is due to the stabilizer passing thru the position of the standard vertical filter. There looks to be enough space to fit a shorter standard filter to the block flange without the adapter, but I'm just guessing.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure if the 2WD had that support bar, but have heard that the horizontal filter adapter was used because of the front driveshaft. Maybe the (long) vertical filter clips the side of the u-joint or something.

Chevymec

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
4x4 should be a PF52 filter. A PF47 I believe is the shorter version that were used on cars. Did you have the last oil change done at a shop? I've seen many quick lube shops use smaller filters so you get less oil with those "$29.99 " specials.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRSB16