'03 Yukon 5.3l Random, intermittent loss of power and stall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M3mphis

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This forum has helped me with several projects, so thanks for that. I'm hoping you guys might be able to give me some pointers with an issue that I'm having.

I've got a 2003 Yukon 5.3L flex fuel. Two weeks ago, my wife drove to the next town over. After driving on the freeway for 11 miles or so, she makes her first stop. In the parking lot (the truck suddenly shudders, RPM's up and down, sputtering, then dies. Won't restart, it tries but only sputters and shudders and dies. By the time I get out there (45 minutes approx), it fires right up. I drive backroads and get about halfway home. Then it sputters and dies. Tow it home (thanks, Dad).

I start taking apart the intake. Take the MAF down to the parts house. They test is as being fine with some weird MAF tester (low confidence in this test, FWIW). Clean the MAF sensor and intake plenum. Then I notice the vacuum hose that attaches just behind the intake plenum is off. I reconnect it, put the intake back on. Drives fantastic around town. I thought the problem was solved. A week later, it dies after a 20 mile drive. My wife said this time it did not shutter at all. Just lost power very quickly and died. I checked the battery terminals. One is slightly oxidized, so I clean them up, lube them, and tighten them up. Battery is only like 4 months old. Yesterday, my wife drives to the next town over again. Dies on the freeway offramp. Quickly loses power and stalls. After waiting 15 minutes, it starts back up and she drives the back roads home. Makes it halfway, then it dies. I went and switched rigs with her and the kids. Drove it the rest of the way home with no issue.

I changed the fuel filter and tested fuel pressure at 45psi idling, 49psi on but not running. Went and drove the heck out of it to try to recreate the problem, no luck. Fuel pressure reading the same.

So, I'm trying to figure out where to go from here. NO CEL throughout all of this, mind you. So.......
1. Fuel pressure below spec, barely. Is it too low???
2. I cleaned the MAF with carb cleaner. :emotions122: Now, I'm reading that I'm a moron and that you should never do that. Should I just replace it to see if that's it?
3. What else do I look at? Without any further insight, I'm thinking of throwing parts at it in an order something like this:

MAF
Crank position sensor
Fuel pressure regulator
Fuel pump

What do you guys think? I'm thinking that the fuel pump is shutting down after getting hot, and it needs replaced. But the pressure readings may be suggesting to look elsewhere???

Thanks in advance, I'm hoping you all might help me avoid throwing too many parts at it. Or at least narrow it down to the most likely parts.

Thank you!!

Matt

OP
OP
M

M3mphis

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, I put in a new fuel pump and cleaned the MAF with MAF cleaner. Drove on the freeway for about 25 minutes. Then it started missing and kind of jerking. Was able to jump onto an offramp and drove it into a truck stop. Left it running and tested the fuel pressure at 43psi. Turned it off. Tested pressure with key on, but not running at 50psi. Truck would not start back up for about 20 to 30 minutes. Then it started right up, and drove the backroads all the way home without a hiccup.

Does anybody have any great insights???? Tomorrow it's going to a pro otherwise.

Thanks.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, just reread your first post and now saw the no CEL comment!!

Well, you've done alot of what I would do, even replaced the fuel pump and filter which is what I was going to say! The problem with taking it to the dealer with the problem being hit and miss is that if it is running, they may not be able to find the problem without driving it around alot to make it act up!! I'm guessing electrical, possibly dealing with the security feature of our trucks, but that is only a guess from me!!
If I was the one that had done all that you have done to your truck to figure it out, I would be taking it to a professional to get it figured out (and I hate doing that). Can't have it dying out randomly when driving, especially with your wife driving it with the kids in the car!! Good luck with it and report back with your findings!

OP
OP
M

M3mphis

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Rivieraracing, I earnestly appreciate you responses.

I took my Yukon to my mechanic this morning. They found three codes stored in the computer. Shows what a neophyte I am. I didn't think there would be any codes since the CEL had never come on. They are replacing the crank position sensor, then retesting. I will update this thread with the three codes and the results later on for the sake of possibly helping someone out.

Thanks again.

mnPaul

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Loss of power on 5.3 Flex Fuel 2002

Hi,

I have had the exact same problem on my '02 Suburban.

It seems to become an issue as the weather gets over 85F and also when towing.

Luckily, I live in Minnesota where it never gets warm.

Let me know if the crank postion sensor helps. I have been struggling with this issue for a long time.

Thanks,

rocafella1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am also having the same problem with my 02 I also live in mn.......and it has been a heat wave lately my seems to believe it happens when we run the ac for a long period of time please report your findings

strato

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
m3mphis,

Have your issues been resolved????? Please update
same problem here. thanx