'03 Yukon 5.3l Random, intermittent loss of power and stall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pstahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am having the same problem with my 2003 Tahoe 5.3L flex fuel.

Vinniety

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys i am on the web right now trying to fix this issue. I replaced my fuel pump a week ago with one from the dealership so im not thinking its that again becasue the same issue i had before i now still have. What the hell can this be!!!!
Update: today I replaced MAF, throttle position sensor and fuel filter. I also cleaned out intake. The truck is running but I didn't take it on a long trip yet still worrying to get stuck. The weird thing is after it cools it restarts.

Last edited:

Vinniety

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rivieraracing, I earnestly appreciate you responses.

I took my Yukon to my mechanic this morning. They found three codes stored in the computer. Shows what a neophyte I am. I didn't think there would be any codes since the CEL had never come on. They are replacing the crank position sensor, then retesting. I will update this thread with the three codes and the results later on for the sake of possibly helping someone out.

Thanks again.

Did the crank sensor replacement resolve the issue?

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I had very similar issues with my 03. Turned out to be my fuel filter--which I read you had changed. The truck drove great and would just randomly die on the highway, back roads etc. No codes. Changed the filter and hasn't died since. Figured I'd put that out there in case someone had similar issues.
Good luck with yours.

bowtie2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello,
Have the same issue on my 2003 Tahoe, stalls everytime after 30 mn drive then need to wait at least 30 other minutes to ccol down, and starts fine.
Did: Put new Delphi sending unit and filter, cleaned throttle body, Map and Mas sensors, new battery, cleaned all ground cable bolts on the engine block and even add a new one.
So I 'd love to read the solution of this very common problem...
Next try: a new crankshaft position sensor.

Vinniety

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Have the same issue on my 2003 Tahoe, stalls everytime after 30 mn drive then need to wait at least 30 other minutes to ccol down, and starts fine.
Did: Put new Delphi sending unit and filter, cleaned throttle body, Map and Mas sensors, new battery, cleaned all ground cable bolts on the engine block and even add a new one.
So I 'd love to read the solution of this very common problem...
Next try: a new crankshaft position sensor.

I went to advance auto and asked for every electrical sensor I could think about in the motor area and I changed them. If I remember correctly they were the cam and crank sensors, mass air flow sensor, throttle position sensor and .........I think that was it and never had the problem ever again. 200 dollars for the sensors and well worth it.

bowtie2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you Vinniety for the update. it's a good way too to solve your problem! There are so many sensors on these vehicules though...
IMPORTANT: About the crankshaft position sensor, did your mechanic had to do a relearn procedure after changing the sensor?
I opened another post on that particular CPS issue I am facing on my 2003 Tahoe. It's on the Engine and drive train thread, and I will also make updates on this one when solved. I am still stuck for the moment, waiting for parts.

Last edited:

Vinniety

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing I did was disconnect battery before I changed the sensors. After all was done I reconnceted the battery made it run for 20 minutes ideling in driveway then went for a 30 minute drive. After that it worked great for two years until I sold the truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan