03 Tahoe vs 05 Tahoe Gauge Cluster Interchangeability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alberta Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, I've done the requisite searches and as is often the case, the results are inconclusive and sometimes conflicting.
So, if I ask again and there's a definitive answer somewhere, direct me to it.

The storyline:
I now own three Tahoe's of this generation. An 03, an 06 and now a new to me 05. The 03 and 05 are Canadian editions with metric gauge clusters. The 06 is US origin (I still prefer MPH).
The 05 came to me the other day (minty mint I might add) but there are a few issues.
In the case of this thread, the PRNDL in the 05 has gone AWOL. I've read the repair threads and it looks easy enough as it's a case of disassembly and re-soldering the resistor to PCB joints (I'm an electrician / electrical tech by trade). However the 03 in my stash is now destined to be my own personal boneyard. It's LM7, sadly, is on the way out so I may have a functional gauge panel from it to retrofit into my 05.
I had hoped that this might be a straight across swap (as it's metric to metric) but I've also read that there's reprogramming involved to get the mileage aligned.

Aftermarket vendors look to have listings that are also all over the map so there's not an answer there that I could find (at least not at first search).
So, here I am asking: What's the scoop?

Thanks as always. This site has been a goldmine of helpful information and I hope that continues.

Donal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
15224141, 15135668, 15190826, 15114649, 15182146
This is a parcel list of of oem clusters. for 2005 and 2003 Tahoe.
Oreilly shows same item for both years. 599-360
Good luck!

OP
OP
A

Alberta Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that. My quick search for similar part numbers across different vendors didn't yield that kind of duplicate. Looks like I might just have that donor sitting in my driveway.
Thanks again.

OP
OP
A

Alberta Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The question regarding any reprogramming though.
Thinking about it, if the gauge/odometer is a display only, then the ECU will output the appropriate mileage.
But if the gauge cluster has a memory chip of some sort, then it's a different story.

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
03-06 are a direct swap, the odo will need to be corrected though. If you have a little $ to throw at it, there are several online vendors that can customize it to your liking and/or reprogram your mileage to match the receiving vehicle if needed. You can also just buy a custom overlay and LED swap the backlighting if everything else otherwise works. I ordered one from digital dash solutions.

dash.jpeg

OP
OP
A

Alberta Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
Having checked out the thread suggested and several vids and other inquiries it looks to be the simplest fix will be to re-solder the broken connections on the PCB.
That way I avoid the reprogramming. The solder bit is no problemo. Whether that is really the issue remains to be seen although it seems a high probability.
What I was really looking to avoid was the disassembly of the cluster which includes pulling the needles off of the individual gauges. I've got some experience with similar endeavors and the possibly of something going sideways is always present.
That said, the level of difficulty is low on the scale. A direct swap is lower still but I see it's not possible without additional steps.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A forked plastic trim tool is ideal for pulling the needles, but be gentle. Be sure to rotate the needles fully counterclockwise until you feel the resting spot of the stepper motor, then put a small piece of blue painter's tape on the gauge face underneath the tip of the needle. Mark the needle position before removing the needles. That will be your reference point when you put the needles back on.

You can also use the painter's tape to protect the gauge face from any damage by the trim tool.

EDIT: in case you don't have it I've attached the pinout for the cluster connector. While you have it apart you can power A11, ground A12, and make sure your backlighting is working.

Attachments

• 2003-2006 Cluster Pinout.pdf
    115.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

arkie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
Having checked out the thread suggested and several vids and other inquiries it looks to be the simplest fix will be to re-solder the broken connections on the PCB.
That way I avoid the reprogramming. The solder bit is no problemo. Whether that is really the issue remains to be seen although it seems a high probability.
What I was really looking to avoid was the disassembly of the cluster which includes pulling the needles off of the individual gauges. I've got some experience with similar endeavors and the possibly of something going sideways is always present.
That said, the level of difficulty is low on the scale. A direct swap is lower still but I see it's not possible without additional steps.
Should be no problem. I once did one at work on my office desk.
Went out to the parking lot with a lady and literally pull her trim off to her dis belief. Replaced her speedo stepper and reinstalled without glass to set the pointer position.

Big smile as a thank you

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard from multiple sources that although the clusters are the same, the software is different. So to use a 03 cluster on an 05, it needs to be reflashed or programmed. Supposedly 03-04 are 100% direct swap, EVERYTHING is the same. And 05-06 is a direct swap. But if using a 05-06 cluster in an 03-04, you may have a warning light or two lit up, or something like that. Also, the transmission temperature gauge will not work. And if you install a 03-04 cluster in a 2005, you will have the same problem. The trans temp gauge will not work, and you will have a warning light or two on. For instance, 05- 06 has tire pressure sensors, 03-04 did not have this feature, so the cluster doesn't have the software for it. So you will have a small issue there. You might get a warning message or something. But suppedly if you flash the correct software for your year model, it will then work fine.
I have never done software flashing or anything like that, this is just info that I have been reading on various websites over the years as I was researching adding a transmission temperature gauge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cort84