'02 Tahoe radio recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88lance

Reaction score
Going to look at a 2002 Tahoe Z71 Thursday, might pick it up if it checks out.
Has the old original radio they had in the 90's and start of 2000's.
Was looking for a radio to put in that has Bluetooth and a backup camera screen.
One thing I must have is the volume knob, not buttons. (My current 05 Tahoe has volume buttons and I hate it) need to turn down volume?
Click click click click click click click click click click click
Stupid. Lol
Looking online I see a number of options and brands ranging from 60 bucks to 800 bucks.
I would probably be willing to spend a couple hundred, but that's about it.

Is there anyone here that knows more about these radios and which ones are the best options for that price range? Also ease of installation is somewhat important, it doesn't have to be completely plug and and play, I can do some splicing or adding a plug, but I don't want to have to rewire everything behind the dash to make one work.
Recommendations? Thanks

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Moved you here from the 2021+ section.

Take a look at www.crutchfield.com; they have good filters for what you want to search for.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Going to look at a 2002 Tahoe Z71 Thursday, might pick it up if it checks out.
Has the old original radio they had in the 90's and start of 2000's.
Was looking for a radio to put in that has Bluetooth and a backup camera screen.
One thing I must have is the volume knob, not buttons. (My current 05 Tahoe has volume buttons and I hate it) need to turn down volume?
Click click click click click click click click click click click
Stupid. Lol
Looking online I see a number of options and brands ranging from 60 bucks to 800 bucks.
I would probably be willing to spend a couple hundred, but that's about it.

Is there anyone here that knows more about these radios and which ones are the best options for that price range? Also ease of installation is somewhat important, it doesn't have to be completely plug and and play, I can do some splicing or adding a plug, but I don't want to have to rewire everything behind the dash to make one work.
Recommendations? Thanks
I used a kenwood ddx3 double din I’ve had it since Maybe 2017? Give or take she’s been a good radio for sure
I had it in my 99 Silverado and now it’s in my 07 Tahoe

Kenwood DDX376BT 6.2" in-Dash Car DVD Monitor Bluetooth Receiver w/USB/AUX https://a.co/d/3pgMvDu

OP
OP
88lance

88lance

Reaction score
Moved you here from the 2021+ section.

Take a look at www.crutchfield.com; they have good filters for what you want to search for.
I didn't realize I posted in the new section, sorry. Thanks for relocating

OP
OP
88lance

88lance

Reaction score
I used a kenwood ddx3 double din I’ve had it since Maybe 2017? Give or take she’s been a good radio for sure
I had it in my 99 Silverado and now it’s in my 07 Tahoe

Kenwood DDX376BT 6.2" in-Dash Car DVD Monitor Bluetooth Receiver w/USB/AUX https://a.co/d/3pgMvDu
Nice, that's perfect. Since you have had one for a while, does the screen have a good dimmer for night driving?
I had a suburban that would dim, but stayed bright blue and was kind of distracting. The one I have in the '05 Tahoe now turns black at night with dim-lit lettering, which is great.

Trey Hardy

Reaction score
Yes but it’s not overly bright to where I have ever had to mess with it. I got a car charger with a led light on it that bothers me more at night then what the radio does

Trey Hardy

Reaction score
Nice, that's perfect. Since you have had one for a while, does the screen have a good dimmer for night driving?
I had a suburban that would dim, but stayed bright blue and was kind of distracting. The one I have in the '05 Tahoe now turns black at night with dim-lit lettering, which is great.
you can also change the background color or upload pics to it for a screensaver someway or another. You can change the colors on the buttons along with brightness you can set them up for gp ls serious xm and internet but I’ve never figured out how or cared to learn

OP
OP
88lance

88lance

Reaction score
you can also change the background color or upload pics to it for a screensaver someway or another. You can change the colors on the buttons along with brightness you can set them up for gp ls serious xm and internet but I’ve never figured out how or cared to learn
Great, if I get this new-to-me Tahoe tomorrow I believe I'll go ahead and order this one

Trey Hardy

Reaction score
Great, if I get this new-to-me Tahoe tomorrow I believe I'll go ahead and order this one
They got fancier ones I’m just not fancy and I like this model specifically for the cd player lol surprisingly a lot of these new double dins do not come with a cd player at all
My “car play” kenwood in my truck don’t have one and honestly I like the older one better as far as function

OP
OP
88lance

88lance

Reaction score
Well I got the Tahoe, and ran into an issue with the radio. I was looking at it on the way home and realized, "that's a lot smaller than the '05 Tahoe slot...."
So I researched and learned it is a din-and-half.
Apparently a double will fit, but with a lot more work than I really want to put into it. (New dash panel, cutting a bunch of crap out of the dash, modifying brackets, ect)
So I guess Im just here to re-ask the same question, except for in a Din-and-half.
Volume knob, Bluetooth, backup camera capable, except in a Din-and-half recommendations??

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts