01 yukon xl squeaking in reverse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik2259271

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an 01 yukon xl with 246k miles. It started having a squeak everytime i was in reverse coming from the rear but it didnt seem that bad. Now it has a much worse sound sometimes after i go into foward for a little bit like a grinding on something that is spinning. It will go away as soon as i let off the gas and once i start to go faster around 40 it will go away all together. Ive looked it over as far as what i can see from underneath and i dont see anything obvious. I would think its the tranny which is the original 4l60e or the rear diff or something but is there an easy way to figure outwhere i should start.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I have an 01 yukon xl with 246k miles. It started having a squeak everytime i was in reverse coming from the rear but it didnt seem that bad. Now it has a much worse sound sometimes after i go into foward for a little bit like a grinding on something that is spinning. It will go away as soon as i let off the gas and once i start to go faster around 40 it will go away all together. Ive looked it over as far as what i can see from underneath and i dont see anything obvious. I would think its the tranny which is the original 4l60e or the rear diff or something but is there an easy way to figure outwhere i should start.

When's the last time you did your brakes?

OP
OP
E

Erik2259271

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did pads like 2 months ago but not rotors. They werent the best but not too bad either and i didnt have money for them. Also im not sure if its related but the very first problem i had was after about a 3 hour drive on xmas it was idling high. Around 2 grand and it didnt really want to stop in gear. I shut it off for 10 mins and it started up and idled just a little higher than it normaly did and has stayed that way but it actualy sounds better than it used to. It was around 700 to 800 and now its about 900

OP
OP
E

Erik2259271

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When's the last time you did your brakes?
It doesnt sound like any brake noise i have ever heard and grinding might be a poor description. It sounds like something that is rotating has a point on it which is repeadly catching at the same point. Seems to just be in the first two gears or just stops at a certain speed

OP
OP
E

Erik2259271

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ill
disconnect the drive line and that will tell you if it is the rear end or transmission, go from there
Ill try but im not sure if it will make the sound without being under the load of the truck if it is the tranny. It doesnt really do it until i get on it a little bit probably at about 10 or 15 miles an hour

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the U-Joint's on the drive shaft, you will need to remove driveshaft being careful not to let the cups fall off the rear joint when you take it loose. Check the front one by moving the yoke on the front of the driveshaft back/forth. Good luck.
David g...........:2cents:

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
assuming it is 2wd just jack up the rear and put on jack stands, put it in gear and get down there and figure out what part is making the noise it can be really hard to tell from inside the truck. if you have a transmission shop in town most of them will at least put it up on a rack and tell you what they think and not charge you to just check because that's how they get business you don't have to be obligated to them for just eyeballing it and giving a possible idea of what it could be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chiefable