01 tahoe brakes feel spongy need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

01TahoeWhiteDhalia

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
hi ever since i can remember i have had this problem.my brakes feel spongy. i try to brake and it doesn't grab very well. ive been thinking of upgrading my braking system for quite sometime but i need a quick fix in the mean time. another thing that i have noticed is that when im braking and i hit a bump, my brake will give out like if i had a bubble in the system and then it will engage again. I might be wrong but that might be my abs malfunction. it might help to list that one of my abs sensors is bad but i cannot tell which one. if anyone can help me with taht problem i would really apreciate it. sounds like im in a car that has no brakes right?? lol

hassoun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
try to bleed your brakes. i have a similar issue. i bled my system and still have the same issue. i have to replace my brake master cylinder. then everything will be fine. so bleed first if no luck then change brake master cylinder.

OP
OP

01TahoeWhiteDhalia

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ok i will do that but have you already replaced your master and if you have did it make a difference?

hassoun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not yet. i dont have time for it now haha. maybe this weekend. i'll let u know how it goes. but if bleeding them doesnt work then its your master cylinder.

hassoun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i actually decided to take care of this today so i can help you troubleshoot your issue! i replaced my brake master cylinder with a new one and my brakes are back in business!!! make sure you bench the master cylinder before installing it. its basically bleeding it from all the air. instructions should come with it. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

hassoun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey Carlos this might help you
Hydraulic Brake System Bleeding (Manual)

Notice: When adding fluid to the brake master cylinder reservoir, use only Delco Supreme 110 (GM P/N 12377967) or equivalent DOT-3 brake fluid from a clean, sealed brake fluid container. The use of any type of fluid other than the recommended type of brake fluid, may cause contamination which could result in damage to the internal rubber seals and/or rubber linings of hydraulic brake system components.

Notice: Refer to Brake Fluid Effects on Paint and Electrical Components Notice in Service Precautions.

1. Place a clean shop cloth beneath the brake master cylinder to prevent brake fluid spills.
2. With the ignition OFF and the brakes cool, apply the brakes 3-5 times, or until the brake pedal becomes firm, in order to deplete the brake booster power reserve.
3. If you have performed a brake master cylinder bench bleeding on this vehicle, or if you disconnected the brake pipes from the master cylinder, you must perform the following steps:

3.1. Ensure that the brake master cylinder reservoir is full to the maximum-fill level; if necessary add Delco Supreme 110 (GM P/N 12377967) or equivalent DOT-3 brake fluid from a clean, sealed brake fluid container. Clean the outside of the reservoir on and around the reservoir cap prior to removing the cap and diaphragm, if cap removal is necessary.
3.2. With the rear brake pipe installed securely to the master cylinder, loosen and separate the front brake pipe from the front port of the brake master cylinder.
3.3. Allow a small amount of brake fluid to gravity bleed from the open port of the master cylinder.
3.4. Reconnect the brake pipe to the master cylinder port and tighten securely.
3.5. Have an assistant slowly depress the brake pedal fully and maintain steady pressure on the pedal.
3.6. Loosen the same brake pipe to purge air from the open port of the master cylinder.
3.7. Tighten the brake pipe, then have the assistant slowly release the brake pedal.
3.8. Wait 15 seconds, then repeat steps 3.3-3.7 until all air is purged from the same port of the master cylinder.
3.9. With the front brake pipe installed securely to the master cylinder, (after all air has been purged from the front port of the master cylinder), loosen and separate the rear brake pipe from the master cylinder, then repeat steps 3.3-3.8.
3.10. After completing the final master cylinder port bleeding procedure, ensure that both of the brake pipe-to-master cylinder fittings are properly tightened.

4. Fill the brake master cylinder reservoir with Delco Supreme 110 (GM P/N 12377967) or equivalent DOT-3 brake fluid from a clean, sealed brake fluid container. Ensure that the brake master cylinder reservoir remains at least half-full during this bleeding procedure; add fluid as needed to maintain the proper level. Clean the outside of the reservoir on and around the reservoir cap prior to removing the cap and diaphragm, when cap removal is necessary.
5. Install a proper box-end wrench onto the RIGHT REAR wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve, then install a transparent hose over the end of the bleeder valve.
6. Submerge the open end of the transparent hose into a transparent container partially filled with Delco Supreme 118 (GM P/N 12377967) or equivalent DOT-3 brake fluid from a clean, sealed brake fluid container.
7. Have an assistant slowly depress the brake pedal fully and maintain pedal position.
8. Loosen the bleeder valve to purge air from the wheel hydraulic circuit.
9. Tighten the bleeder valve, then have the assistant slowly release the brake pedal.
10. Wait 15 seconds, then repeat steps 7-9 until all air is purged from the same wheel hydraulic circuit.
11. With the right rear wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve tightened securely, (after all air has been purged from the right rear hydraulic circuit), install a proper box-end wrench onto the LEFT REAR wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve, install a transparent hose over the end of the bleeder valve, then repeat steps 6-10.
12. With the left rear wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve tightened securely, (after all air has been purged from the left rear hydraulic circuit), install a proper box-end wrench onto the RIGHT FRONT wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve, install a transparent hose over the end of the bleeder valve, then repeat steps 6-10.
13. With the right front wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve tightened securely, (after all air has been purged from the right front hydraulic circuit), install a proper box-end wrench onto the LEFT FRONT wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve, install a transparent hose over the end of the bleeder valve, then repeat steps 6-10.
14. After completing the final wheel hydraulic circuit bleeding procedure, ensure that each of the 4 wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valves are properly tightened.
15. Fill the brake master cylinder reservoir to the maximum-fill level with Delco Supreme 110 (GM P/N 12377967) or equivalent DOT-3 brake fluid from a clean, sealed brake fluid container.
16. Slowly depress and release the brake pedal. Observe the feel of the brake pedal.
17. If the brake pedal feels spongy, repeat the bleeding procedure again. If the brake pedal still feels spongy after repeating the bleeding procedure, perform the following steps:

17.1. Inspect the brake system for external leaks.
17.2. Pressure bleed the hydraulic brake system in order to purge any air that may still be trapped in the system.

18. Turn the ignition key ON, with the engine OFF; check to see if the brake system warning lamp remains illuminated.
19. If the brake system warning lamp remains illuminated, DO NOT allow the vehicle to be driven until it is diagnosed and repaired. Refer to Symptoms - Hydraulic Brakes.

HK-DEMON-

Reaction score
Im also having the spongy brake issue, this is some good info thanks. I guess im going to have to replace my master cilynder and while im at that i should probably get a good brake line kit from summit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo