Changing rotted backing plates/dust shields

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dogerme32

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Rotted?? you haven't seen rotted!!!

I just got this vehicle about 2 months ago. I knew there would be things to do to make it a decent ride for my wife, but not this. the backing plates were non existant, as well as the parking brake shoes and all hardware were gone. both rotors are warped, and both outer wheel bearings are loose. so I started this project with the intent on just replacing wheel bearings, but will end up with new backing plates, wheel bearings, seals, parking brake shoes, hardware, and rotors...LOL bout 350.00 later, doing it myself, i should have no more rear end problems...LOL Great job with the posting on how to replace these, i found you trying to figure out how to remove the axle shafts. without your post I would be stuck at that point. so again, GREAT JOB AND THANKS ALOT. Here are some pics after some of it is apart...you can see hardly any backing plate left to speak of.!!

Attachments

• 000_0008.jpg
    000_0008.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 000_0009.jpg
    000_0009.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 000_0010.jpg
    000_0010.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 000_0011.jpg
    000_0011.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 75
  • 000_0012.jpg
    000_0012.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 73

k5blzt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just did this on my wifes 03. Did it laying on my back and it was pretty straight forward. The biggest problem I had was getting the diff cover to seal. Took 3 tries and I was pretty PO'd. Diff has a tapper to it on the sealing surface which is different from any other rear end I have ever worked on. Ended up using a high dollar gasket with some indian head gasket shelac and it finally sealed. Make sure both surfaces are CLEAN!

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
would this be any different on an axel on a Z71?

No, assuming the rear ends are the same, (even if they're not it doesn't matter) it's the same process.

I'm just glad this writeup has been able to help so many people so far :)

Hiceman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just seen in the new 2010 summer edition LMC truck catalog that they have the rear disc brake shield for 20 bucks and its a 2 piece design claiming you dont have to remove the axles....

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
They've had the 2 piece out for awhile, but you still need to remove the axles to get the old ones out. And the 2 piece flex a bit, so they'll rub the rotor opposed to the solid ones that are more stable...

10Gauge

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
its just flimsy, stamped metal, surely you can just cut/tear away the old plate without removing the axle, no ? All the rust should make it a simple job.

Last edited:

YUOnDaGround

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just seen in the new 2010 summer edition LMC truck catalog that they have the rear disc brake shield for 20 bucks and its a 2 piece design claiming you dont have to remove the axles....

HAHAHAHA, sorry that was just funny. I was all "excited" to do a project now I don't have to. Probably save 2 hours off the whole job.

YUOnDaGround

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the project again of replacing the backing plates and can somebody tell me what is the actual function and purpose of the backing plates?

oneradride

Reaction score
Besides containing some (very little) of the brake dust and keeping it off your wheels….. The main function is to hold/secure the e-brake cable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645