Yukon or Yukon XL?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nicholasdgrimes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys i'm a newbie here and this may be a silly question. I just sold my truck in order to purchase an SUV for my growing family. I am looking at a 2002 Yukon at a dealership. On the Autocheck it is listed as a 2002 GMC Yukon SLE / SLT. It has the 5.3 L engine and 3rd row seating. It is not listed as an XL but in all the Yukon specs I find there is no 5.3L in the regular Yukon nor 3rd row seating, only in the XL. I was just wondering if this is the Yukon XL model. Also would I look at the SLE or SLT package when researching this vehicle. My last question is if anyone has had experience towing. I do use my truck to tow 20-30ft, 5,000-8,000 lb trailers. The Yukon has a very high towing capacity but will it comfortably and safely tow that kind of weight?

Thanks guys! I have owned a suburban in the past and was very happy with it and would like to stay in that family for an SUV.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
your research is in error. The Yukon does have options of both a 3rd row and 5.3. You can tell an XL due to the length of it. Should be pretty evident in pics. If there badging is still on the vehicle it'll also say "Yukon XL"

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They have 3rd rows on the short yukon as well. Sounds like that's what your looking at. I know I wouldn't tow 8k behind mine. I tow a 4k boat all the time and hardly notice it. I pulled a half full 20ft enclosed trailer and the wind resistance and weight of it sucked... Won't do that again. You need a diesel...

Pockets

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just look at the back door. If it's full size (and not cut out for the tire) it's a XL. Don't really sound like it is tho

WILLFG

Reaction score
I had a regular Yukon w/ the 3rd row seat. Best way to tell is by looking at the length of the truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667