Why PPV / SSV vs civilian released models

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Solace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ever driven a Police Pursuit Vehicle?
A 2.5ton SUV that handles like an overweight sports car is a joy, especially going nowhere for the hell of it.

(Although I'll never get why PPVs / SSVs only get a 5.3L, instead of 6.0L or 6.2L. For shame, GM.)

Ever clean the entire interior of a PPV / SSV clean in under 10 min with a garden hose and a towel?
I bet it'd be even more fun to dry one out with a leafblower. Can't do that with leather fabric and carpeting.

There are other reasons, most of which have nothing to do with actively impersonating an officer.
(Was unimpressed with that forum discussion.
Too many looking for an excuse to unnecessarily take offense where none was intended.)
I've asked GM directly who no 6.2/6.0 offering for the PPV. It comes down to initial vehicle cost and maintenance costs.

All my Tahoes have been police models, one I work for a Chevy dealer in gov fleet sales so there's that and I also do the lighting as well so they've all served as my demos.

I now have a 2022 SSV and I absolutely love it. It has all the features I really need, and then all the electrical stuff I need for the upfitting. There is a cost difference, but if you are purchasing these direct as a civilian (which you really shouldn't be, GM requires every one ordered to have a government PO attached unless you are a upfitter buying it for a demo) you'll still be paying in the ~$50k range or more. I had to jump through a lot of hoops and get approval from GM corporate to even buy mine.

As much as I love the PPVs, I really don't have a use for one and prefer my SSV's bit more subtle look with the 20" aluminum wheels vs the PPV's 20" steelies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RanchoTexas