Where do you find service techs with PP/SSV electrical knowledge?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Hopefully this isn't redundant, I didn't find an answer in searching...

I've just acquired a new to me 2008 SSV, and while I like to do most of my own work, I'm not above paying a good tech to use the knowledge he has to save me some pain. And my back isn't really fond of contorting into a pretzel to work under dashes any more either.

As a for instance, I have no high beam headlights. Stalk switch is OK, and the blue indicator on the dash lights, but that's it. I expect the high beams were wired through the wig wag controller or whatever was tied in with the lights / siren controls which are of course all gone. I can chase it and fix it for sure, eventually. I also expect the guys who install and remove the specialty lighting could find it and fix it in 5 minutes because they know exactly where to look to restore the OEM wiring.

So where to find those guys? Google? Chevy dealers? Backtrack from the aftermarket vendors of such equipment? I've considered contacting the local LEO operations to ask, as this varies from region to region or even agency to agency no doubt.

Suggestions?

I'm in south FL for the winter presently.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the party!

Are you getting power at the light bulb socket?

Also check to ensure all of the relays are present too. I have seen them pull relays as the "quick" fix to deactivate a function

OP
OP
B

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
^^^ I haven’t even begun the diagnostic journey yet, it’s in the shop for AC repair and then it’s tires. Next come all fresh fluids and filters then finally electrical faults, as none of them are impacting driving it. I did see plenty of cut aftermarket wiring under the hood and the relay box cover was unseated, so someone has been into it for sure.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I have easily removed over 10 lbs of excess cabling that was not being used.

Harold Pierson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good Day, Since it was in Police duty, I would say it had a headlight flasher. No need to crawl under the dash. But you will need to pull each headlight out and you should find where they cut and spliced the Hi Beam wiring, and spliced in the flasher. Reconnect to the original wiring and you should be good to go.

On another note, does your horn work, another common wiring change is to cut the horn ring and splice it to the siren.

Depending who did the Up-fitting, all of the wiring should be labeled on the wires them self. two wire labeled Horn ring, just splice back together.

I just bought a 2014 Tahoe that was an unmarked, it has a great power distribution under the hood, but when they removed things they did return to factory. Funny how the dealer didn't catch or fix these.

Let me know if this helps you out. Luckily I used to do some of this and I still remember what I'm looking for

Harold Pierson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Dealers with the knowledge would be hard to come by. American Emergency Products is a national up-fitter and may be able to help.

I would be interested in a few pics of the relay box under the hood, I could probably direct you from there.

Patrol Power makes the relay fuse box for under the hood, It has a timer circuit, and constant hot power coming out of it, they may have disabled it, all of it can be dealt with.

OP
OP
B

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Thanks @Harold Pierson , I didn’t see your replies until today. I’ll post a photo of the wiring later. The horn works fine, and all the other lights except high beams. I concur they cut the wiring between the high beam relay and the headlights, because there’s power leaving the front power distribution box when the high beams are switched on.

I’m going to pull the whole front facia and headlights out to either polish and clear coat the yellowed plastic lenses or maybe just do new lights. So I’ll find and fix the cut wiring when I do that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHNorthWoods