Used Yukon XL Purchase Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AndyW

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi,

Considering purchase a used 2015-2020 Yukon XL (Denali).
Can anyone share your purchase advice on it?
Thanks a lot.

Andy

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

Do you have a specific Yukon XL in mind? If yes, tell us what you already know about this truck.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I have a 2017 Denali and love it - although I'm still partial to my 2008 Denali a lot of times. The new trucks are quiet, smooth, etc but they had their growing pains. There are more people here with experience from the years surrounding 2017 which can probably help out.

From what I gather, the 6 speed transmissions are prone to failure from running too hot. The first few years also had taillights that fail and aren't cheap to replace. The 2015 model year had weird buffeting noises inside the cabin I believe. The 8 speed transmissions are a love or hate depending on experience - if updated with correct fluid and service they are good in my book.

2018 and newer got the 10 speed I believe which is a Rockstar. Generally I try to stay away from the first few years of any new model because of bugs that need to be worked out. Depending on your budget, 2018-20 would be the best options I believe.

SpyShops212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stick to a 2018-2020 with the 10-speed transmission. I would also get the LTZ, RST, SLT or Denali with the magride. I have owned in the past a 2008 Escalade from 2009-2022, 2016 Tahoe LT from 2016-2020 and currently a 2018 Escalade. The 2016 Tahoe LT was never driven because it had regular shock premium suspension which I hated my life every time I drove it. I regretted every time I drove it and wished I would have bought the LTZ. I probably would still be driving it today if it had dampers. The electric steps are cool until they break. This is a option I will would rather not have. You have to oil the electric steps every 6 months and if you live in a 4 season environment you should not have them. Maybe they are better these days than they was in 2008 but from what I have read on forums I doubt it. FYI: You could get a Escalade Luxury for almost the same price as a fully loaded Denali. Unless you live in Maine, Canada or somewhere that you really need 4x4 I would do without. I had 2x4 in NY on my Escalade for 14 years and experienced several record snow storms and never had a issue driving in the snow. I think the 22" tires was good enough for the snow. The AWD or 4x4 is allot of maintainance and more items to break and less gas MPG. This is based on my experience only.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne