Truck Turns Over, Doesn't Start... Smell Gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SeanEboy

Reaction score
So, I tried banging on the tank.. Didn't work. I guess the next move is to test fuel pressure? How exactly do I do that? Also, would a regular tire pressure gauge work here, or do I need a specific tool?

I tested the spark with the old screw driver in the plug wire maneuver... I saw a spark.

Thing ran like a champ last week, used it to pull my parts truck around the parking lot. Now, just turns and turns over, doesn't show any sign of kicking over. Any help is greatly appreciated! I want to drive the darn thing!

willxfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need a special tool to test the fuel pressure. You can rent them for free at your local auto parts store. Easy to use. Just clamp it on the valve and turn your key to the on/run position. If fuel pump is working, you can always hear it run for a few seconds when you turn the key to the on position.

crows feet

Reaction score
spray some starting fluid in throtle body if runs with fluid,,say not getting fuel....fuel pump,,way i checked mine just idea hope it helps

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Yep spray in intake and if it fires then its fuel related possiy fuel pump or fuel pump wiring or clogged

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you smell gas when cranking then it is getting gas, check for spark.

crows feet

Reaction score
has to be a strong spark blue fire,,,,mine done that i check with screw driver mech checked said was getting spark but not strong enough to start,replaced the module in side destrobtor cap and started right up sorry for bad spelling i smoked my lunch in high school also chevys are famos for eating up rotor buttons

OP
OP
S

SeanEboy

Reaction score
Crows feet was right! I had the guy down the block look at it.. He ordered a cam sensor, that wasn't it, then tried a distributor... He was getting spark, but it wouldn't start. He thought it was the ignition module, and told me I'd have to take it to the dealer for programming...
Took it there, and they put a new distributor cap on there, claiming it has to be genuine GM and not aftermarket. Sure enough, that was it. I think this is the last time that I 1) go to that mechanic, and 2) don't try fixing it myself first...

I appreciate all your input guys!

OP
OP
S

SeanEboy

Reaction score
Retorq - yeah, sorry... Credit where credit is due.. ;c)

It was getting spark, and apparently he thought it was strong enough... He even hooked it up to an external ignition module, and it still wouldn't start...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076

Latest posts