Trim not sticking - any ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wing Bucket

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wondering if this has happened to z as beyond else…. This channel trim keeps coming up at the edge (starts right behind the passenger door and goes all the way to the rear). See pic. It’s happening on both sides.

I’ve fixed it twice and it’s come up again. Removed the old double sided foam tape from both surfaces. Cleaned with rubbing alcohol before applying, etc.

I go through the car wash 2-4 times per month. I suppose that could be breaking it loose?

If you have any ideas for a more permanent fix I’m all ears. Thanks

C7437907-0EC6-4A1E-940C-6B4C9CCE90A8.jpeg

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you using 3m VHB tape?
You also have to press and hold for 15-30 seconds after you apply the trim to help the adhesive wet to the surfaces.

OP
OP
Wing Bucket

Wing Bucket

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks…. Yes I’m using 3M VHB tape. I did press and hold for something like 30 seconds. Both surfaces were warm when I did it.

Regarding a different color piece in the pic, I’m not sure what that’s referring to. The black trim is what’s lifting up. That mates to a silver strip directly below it, which is part of the body.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
In the pic of the curled up piece, you can see a light colored item in the pic. What is that made of?

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gorilla glue. I got so mad at the door trim on my 2008 Denali that was bowing out in the center. I dabned gorilla glue in where the tape was, held it in place overnight and it hasn't moved since. Getting them OFF now if needed is a whole diffent story I'm sure.....

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I am thinking that the different colored piece in the end of that strip, is maybe metal and needs to be bent back down to help hold in place. If is a spring steel, the constant want to "peel back" is causing it to not want to stick, eventually.

OP
OP
Wing Bucket

Wing Bucket

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am thinking that the different colored piece in the end of that strip, is maybe metal and needs to be bent back down to help hold in place. If is a spring steel, the constant want to "peel back" is causing it to not want to stick, eventually.
Yes what you can see at the end of the rubber strip is metal (the staple-shaped piece). The metal runs through the inside and it’s surrounded by the rubber molding. I see what you’re saying about it constantly wanting to peel back. Might need to persuade it otherwise!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That is what I was thinking. I know that when door seals inner metal gets weak, you have to persuade them to keep on gripping. I think the metal in that rubber molding is your problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rs401