Recycling used computer power supply

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2005yukonxl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted this over in the tundra forum that i am part of when i did it, but figured someone else could use it as an idea as well. Since i've put it in, i've used it to test and set up DVD players, backup cameras, LED lights, all sorts of things that its just not practical to pop the hood and try to touch to battery posts etc... i've found it to be invaluable, and especially since it was 100 percent free...since these pics ive added labels below each one for what voltage etc but you get the idea...anyway, here's the copy/pasted thread..

I came across this info a while back but never got around to doing anything until the past few days. My parents got a new computer so I stole the power supply from their old one. Very simple and straight forward. I referred to some online DIYs to do this. This cost me absolutely nothing. I had the wire, binding posts, 12 volt outlets, LED, and resistor already from other projects. I have been wanting a place I can test things or work on various things at the work bench without having to use the clamps from the battery charger or having to plug things into the boat or run them off a car. Anyway, here's a couple of pics, hope someone else can use this info. Afterall, old computer power supplies are out there for free all the time.

photo0948.jpg

picture of overall cabinets. sorry i dont have a better pic, the work bench is too messy to document haha and im too lazy to clean it up after this project till tomorrow.

photo0947.jpg

close up of the binding posts and 12volt outlets. from left to right, 3.3 volt positve, 5.5 volt positive, 12 volt positve, common ground, simple on off power switch (connected to green wire on power supply and ground- see instructions), 12 volt outlet, power LED, 12 volt outlet. Need to make labels for the posts, I will do that tomorrow so they will be labeled with what is what..

photo0952.jpg

here is a close up of the 12 volt outlets
photo0951.jpg

close up of the binding posts with the screw on collars unscrewed, can insert wire into there and tighten back down. they were originally purchased for speaker terminals in the home theater pre wiring when we built, i over bought :)
photo0950.jpg

close up of the binding posts - color coded obviously

photo0949_2.jpg

here is an early picture of where the power supply went. its much better now, all the wires are tidy'd up into a nice wire loom and cut down to appropriate length and soldered/ heat shrinked... this was just me working on it.

anyway, finished product works like a charm. plug things in or use the screw on things on the binding posts to attach bare wire or i can plug bananna clips directly into the front of them and use the test leads that way. Lots of options that keep me at the work bench.

below is an older pic before this power supply project but it was taken when the work bench was clean so you can see how it all works out space wise...

a93ecbca2160e40f3456d6ae3ecff89f_2454.jpg

here's the few websites I went off of...many more out there if one wants to google...

ATX to Lab Bench Power Supply Conversion
How to Convert a Computer ATX Power Supply to a Lab Power Supply - wikiHow
http://www.s10forum.com/how_to_make_a_12_volt_test_station

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC

Latest posts