New Transmission feels AWESOME.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lorax54

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I blew the stock trans while driving home from Houston last week. Got towed home, 3.5hrs. No fun. Ordered a new Mad Dog Stage 2 trans, and just got done installing it. Took a lap around town and it feels REALLY great. Still gonna upgrade to bigger trans cooler, before the TX summer.

Anyways, I just had to tell somebody who would appreciate some new truck bling. And call Mad Dog if you need anything. Guys are super helpful.

slowstang305

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the cost on something like that? Does it shift more aggressive?

OP
OP
L

lorax54

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The price was just under $2000 with trans, fluid, new exhaust studs, etc. The trans holds gears way better, more pronounced shifts. Plus it feels 1000% more smooth, sturdy, tighter tolerances, etc. Here is the specifics from thier website.

Features

•Level 2 4L60E/4L65E
•(FREE CONVERTER AND SHIPPING)
•Installtion and extended warranties available
•All Mad Dog Transmissions are completely rebuilt and come with a Master Overhaul Kit which includes:
•-all new lip seals
•-all new gaskets
•-all new Teflon rings
•-new filter
•-all new steels
•-all new bushings
•-all new Raybestos clutch discs
•-all new sprags
•The Level 2 4L60E/4L65E comes with a new force motor, new shift solenoids, new 3/2 downshift solenoid, new TCC solenoids, new pressure manifold and a special Sonnax valve that is specifically made for the GM code 1870, which is very common on these particular units.
•This Level 2 transmission comes with an Mad Dog Reprogramming update kit, Outlaw shift kit, and Raybestos 9 clutches (replaces factory 5 clutches in the 3-4 drum) the 9 clutch pack also has specialized heat treated steels that can withstand much more abuse, all Raybestos high temp high energy clutches throughout the rest of the unit, all new steels, band, bushings, and rings. A 500 boost valve, 13 vane pump rotor. We also use 4140 hardened pump rings, TEFLON pump bushing, a 29 element sprag, over-sized hardened sun gear shell (which is three times thicker than factory), hardened input shaft and drum, 4 pinion planetary gear (which has also been cold-freezed to withstand big horsepower and torque), high-temp Pro-series, Kevlar band and a Billet servo ( the Billet servo has 30% more holding power, to give you that full throttle shift without burning up the band. For full competition use only). However, I highly recommend running a Corvette servo if your going to drive the vehicle every day.
•We discard the oem factory, plastic accumulators and run Sonnax aluminum accumulators to ensure a quality shift every time.
•This transmission can also be setup for pulling and towing (no extra charge).
•NOTE: Let us know what type of shift you want. We can custom build each valve body for your application.
•-Stage 1 is a factory shift.
•-Stage 2 has a nice crisp shift and at wide open throttle it will put you in your seat.
•-Stage 3 is for that Saturday night special. Be warned stage 3 shift is very violent!
•“NECK BRACE NOT INCLUDED !!!” If YOU’VE got THE HORSEPOWER we have the transmission. LEVEL 2!

FLO-LOP 805

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The price was just under $2000 with trans, fluid, new exhaust studs, etc. The trans holds gears way better, more pronounced shifts. Plus it feels 1000% more smooth, sturdy, tighter tolerances, etc. Here is the specifics from thier website.

Features

•Level 2 4L60E/4L65E
•(FREE CONVERTER AND SHIPPING)
•Installtion and extended warranties available
•All Mad Dog Transmissions are completely rebuilt and come with a Master Overhaul Kit which includes:
•-all new lip seals
•-all new gaskets
•-all new Teflon rings
•-new filter
•-all new steels
•-all new bushings
•-all new Raybestos clutch discs
•-all new sprags
•The Level 2 4L60E/4L65E comes with a new force motor, new shift solenoids, new 3/2 downshift solenoid, new TCC solenoids, new pressure manifold and a special Sonnax valve that is specifically made for the GM code 1870, which is very common on these particular units.
•This Level 2 transmission comes with an Mad Dog Reprogramming update kit, Outlaw shift kit, and Raybestos 9 clutches (replaces factory 5 clutches in the 3-4 drum) the 9 clutch pack also has specialized heat treated steels that can withstand much more abuse, all Raybestos high temp high energy clutches throughout the rest of the unit, all new steels, band, bushings, and rings. A 500 boost valve, 13 vane pump rotor. We also use 4140 hardened pump rings, TEFLON pump bushing, a 29 element sprag, over-sized hardened sun gear shell (which is three times thicker than factory), hardened input shaft and drum, 4 pinion planetary gear (which has also been cold-freezed to withstand big horsepower and torque), high-temp Pro-series, Kevlar band and a Billet servo ( the Billet servo has 30% more holding power, to give you that full throttle shift without burning up the band. For full competition use only). However, I highly recommend running a Corvette servo if your going to drive the vehicle every day.
•We discard the oem factory, plastic accumulators and run Sonnax aluminum accumulators to ensure a quality shift every time.
•This transmission can also be setup for pulling and towing (no extra charge).
•NOTE: Let us know what type of shift you want. We can custom build each valve body for your application.
•-Stage 1 is a factory shift.
•-Stage 2 has a nice crisp shift and at wide open throttle it will put you in your seat.
•-Stage 3 is for that Saturday night special. Be warned stage 3 shift is very violent!
•“NECK BRACE NOT INCLUDED !!!” If YOU’VE got THE HORSEPOWER we have the transmission. LEVEL 2!

Whats the warranty???
You can get a factory rebuilt transmission for about that,with 3year 100k mile warranty!

ATL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
would u be talkin about maddog from georgia(******* if i remember correctly)?

if so his warranty is 1 yr unlimited mileage

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
cant wait for my trans to get overhauled. should be out this week:)

ATL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you guys are talking about maddog from ga, i would suggest someone else. that shop isnt all that it sounds to be. maddog himself knows trans inside and out, but he wont be the one doing the work. they can sell you with their knowledge, but my experience hasnt been what i expected. i WILL say ive put 70k on one of there stage 1s. but with that said, its super slow changing from reverse-drive and vice versa. on wot, i can hear the clutches slippin when it shifts. since they will tell u aftermarket parts are cheaper and better quality, they wont do a stock rebuild. even the stage 1 has a shift kit in it, but whats the point if the clutches slip. all its good for is a clunk when it downshifts at part throttle under load. also my truck has wondered/hunted gears when cruising around 50 since day 1, it just continues to shift in and out of o/d unless i put it in tow/haul. but supposably its a new converter.

i was talking to a friend one day about it and his jaw dropped when i said maddog. he had maddog put a trans in his f150 and had to take it back 4 times. it wasnt right until the fourth time, when he watched maddog fix it himself. but during this process, maddog had him tow his truck in everytime it broke, on my friends penny. he said craziest part was when he got to the shop and the tow truck maddog suggested he used was there and had maddog stickers on it. come to find out, maddog owns the towing company and is charging his customers to tow their trucks in after the transmission he sold them broke.

super sketchy...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eduardoa5