Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

scrap

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Howdy Sam! Do tell us about your experiences with the Avalanche if you don't mind.

Regarding the Avalanche. Had the 4/8 cylinder engine. Only went into 4 cylinder mode when going down hill with my foot off the accelerator. When new, used 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles. GM said that was within acceptable limits! Been a long time since I had to add oil between oil changes. After about a year there was a factory fix, modified valve covers?? Didn't do much. After another year or so, they replaced the valve lifters! Got about 1500 miles per quart after that. The engine was a dog when it came to acceleration. On the other hand, I loved the versatility. With the back seat folded down and 2 X 4's in the bed slots, I could put 4 X 8 sheet goods in the back with room to put other supplies under the sheet goods and keep the bed covers on with everything locked up and protected from the elements. With the rear window out, I could carry a full size sofa. I put almost 200,000 miles on it. Don't need the bed anymore so I went with the Premier. Love it and love the 6.2 mill.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regarding the Avalanche. Had the 4/8 cylinder engine. Only went into 4 cylinder mode when going down hill with my foot off the accelerator. When new, used 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles. GM said that was within acceptable limits! Been a long time since I had to add oil between oil changes. After about a year there was a factory fix, modified valve covers?? Didn't do much. After another year or so, they replaced the valve lifters! Got about 1500 miles per quart after that. The engine was a dog when it came to acceleration. On the other hand, I loved the versatility. With the back seat folded down and 2 X 4's in the bed slots, I could put 4 X 8 sheet goods in the back with room to put other supplies under the sheet goods and keep the bed covers on with everything locked up and protected from the elements. With the rear window out, I could carry a full size sofa. I put almost 200,000 miles on it. Don't need the bed anymore so I went with the Premier. Love it and love the 6.2 mill.

Thanks Sammy! One of my kids has taken a liking to them and the oil usage issue is largely solved by disabling AFM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adamnalicea143e