New 2023 Tahoe Z71 - wiring harness & computer module corrosion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thedude26

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
May 2023 purchased new Tahoe.

December 2023 started having electrical issues. Computer and dash panel screen both glitched and blacked out. Heater ran full blast, no sound out of speakers, and several crazy warning lights came on. Took it to dealership, they messed with it for a couple days and it went away. Admittedly said they didn't fix it.

Fast forward to end of April 2024, it suddenly happens again while the wife was driving it. Towed to dealership. They informed me the wiring harness and computer module were corroded from liquid. We have not been aware of any liquid spills, in the vehicle.

These items were designed and placed in the center console underneath the cupholders on the center console.

Pretty dumb idea to place the wiring harness and computer module in the middle console under a cupholder, and not being sealed to keep liquid out.

The Tahoe was in the dealership shop for 4 weeks. Finally got the Tahoe back May 29 (a full month), but not complete. They replaced the wiring harness, but the module is still on back order. The service tech cannot find the part and has no end in site for finishing the repair 100%. So I have been driving it with no sound through speakers (radio or phone) and no AC in the rear, for nearly 2 weeks.

Summer road trips are going to be a blast!! Guess I see some car rentals in my future! Thanks Chevrolet!

Oh the other kicker, I have to pay out of pocket for all repairs, parts and labor. Warranty refused to cover it. What a failure of design! Hey Chevy if you are going to put an important electronic component underneath a cupholder, how bout you make it sealed off to liquid!

Anyone have any similar issues? I've been a life long Chevy person.. but my loyalty is running thin.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So just because it is under the cupholder doesn't mean it automatically is subject to liquid damage; although it would increase the risk. Did someone indeed spill something on the center console/cupholder area? Did it get cleaned up? What was spilled?

OP
OP
T

thedude26

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So just because it is under the cupholder doesn't mean it automatically is subject to liquid damage; although it would increase the risk. Did someone indeed spill something on the center console/cupholder area? Did it get cleaned up? What was spilled?
We have no proof or knowledge anything that was spilled. Although we have had people (family and friends) drive the vehicle while were out of town. No one has mentioned anything about it.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have no proof or knowledge anything that was spilled. Although we have had people (family and friends) drive the vehicle while were out of town. No one has mentioned anything about it.
I suspect that there was a large spill that was not reported to you. Just my 2 cent speculation.

OP
OP
T

thedude26

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I suspect that there was a large spill that was not reported to you. Just my 2 cent speculation.
Agreed. Putting a wiring harness and module underneath a cup holder where water can leak through and zap them? Highly likely something is going to spill when you have 3 kids under the age of 9. Tahoes and suburbans are family vehicles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Earlybird1956