Need help guys...Freon leak at rear tire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BAMA_LTZ_HOE

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced this? 2007 LTZ Tahoe with 97,000 miles. Wife came home the other day and said her air wasn't blowing cold. Went outside and the compressor would come on and run for about 2 seconds and then turn off. I said "well, it's low on freon". Went to Walmart and bought a can with the gauge on it. Filled her up to the blue area on the gauge and it started blowing cold. I thought it must have been a slow leak and it finally got so low the compressor wouldn't run. It's been working great for 3 days and yesterday I got home and noticed some green colored fluid on the floor of the garage. Looked like it was coming from the rear A/C lines. Today, wife called and said air was not blowing cold again. I'm hoping it's just an O-ring or something simple. I googled forever and can't find anyone with a similar experience on a 07 or newer Tahoe or Yukon.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a hole in the rear ac line. You are most likely going to have to have it replaced, system evac and recharged

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
Highland Park, IL. Transplant from SLC, UT to redu
Try refilling with the refrigerant (it's not freon) that has a leak detector dye in it. That'll show you where the problem is.

And, because I'm OCD, freon is classified as R12. That stuff is no longer available to the public unless you have a special permit from the EPA. If WalMart is selling it to you then they and their employee are both subject to mandatory $10,000 fines each per occurance. The refrigerant in all NNBS Tahoes, Yukons, etc is R134a. Btw, that stuff is rumored to be replaced with a new refrigerant within the next few years, so stock up now while it's cheap. Failure to do so will cost you just like R12 does today. My store retails 12 ounce cans of R12 without the hose already attached at $29 each.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BAMA_LTZ_HOE

BAMA_LTZ_HOE

Reaction score
right rear tire?

Yes, it is coming from the rear air unit somewhere but I can't figure out where. You can see where it has blown the refrigerant oil out on the back side of the fender well and the splash guard. I looked all over the lines using a mirror and can't see any evidence of a hole. I have an appointment Monday with my mechanic. He has a sniffer so maybe he can find the leak.

1dopeHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only asked because I had a fluid leak in the same location last fall,but chalked it up to a blown shock or axle seal. Turns out it may be my a/c because it hasn't worked since.

OP
OP
BAMA_LTZ_HOE

BAMA_LTZ_HOE

Reaction score
Turns out the A/C condenser for the rear air was leaking. The refrigerant and oil I was seeing was coming from the drain hole in the bottom of the rear unit assembly. Condenser was replaced with a GM unit ($220), New refrigerant ($90) and Labor ($75) for a total of $385. I had removed the inner panel on that side of the rear cargo area, so that saved me a little labor, plus I didn't want my mechanic breaking any clips or getting my interior panels dirty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Turbokon