My Big Baby(project)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChevyBoy89

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I thought I should start a thread about my blazer

Its a 1992 K1500
Engine 350 v8 5.7L L05 TBI
Auto Trans 4x4

For starters I bought it from some guy off craigslist not too far away (2hr drive), the guy got over on me real fast (so he thought), i paid $1800 for it. when i bought it everything was awesome besides the muffler and it needed a major tune up. i had checked everything from the oil to the fuel pressure even tire pressure...just for kicks.. and it seemed like everything was normal i drove it back to my city and she rode beautifully besides the loud pipes yelling under me..

so i decide to start on the maintenance while doing so i check the oil once again before i changed it to inspect clarity of it and what do you know.....its milky...

so first thing that came to my mind was either intake or head gaskets since it drove so well.. so i went forward with the intake first (cheaper route)

I started tearing the top end down when i got to the gaskets they were shot so i replace those with fel pro gaskets and ran to the junk yard and got a used intake manifold for 35 bucks (a steal). I cleaned it up real good and painted it black. Looks awesome under the hood.

i then replaced the starter, the Dist. cap and rotor, spark plugs, wires, main ground, radiator hoses, heater hose inlet, pcv, thermosat, water pump, cleaned the maf, knock sensor, o2 sensors, and temp sensor

i still have yet to paint those valve covers.. i also still have to repaint the air filter but other than those few rusty looking parts the top of my engine looks freakin aye...lol

when i first did the tune up after i had completed the intake job it wouldnt start.. i had gotten a few tips from this wonderful site on finding the TDC and that worked out awesomely with a helping hand.

now that i have her running again im thinking its time to work on the exhaust since i never got around to that. I have a single in dual out flowmaster muffler laying in the garage waiting to be installed on something worthy enough.

only thing is i dont have a pipe bender to bend the tail pipes in the direction i want them in. I want them to point out right behind the rear tires i wanted to do in front of the rear tires but i dont know how that would turn out since i have never seen it done on this particular vehicle

but in the meantime in between time i will be also working on the interior

i installed a new headliner in the old one was hung by tacks and i felt like it deserved to be treated better than that i am blacking out everything in and out on the truck when i do get it repainted it will be hot rod black no gloss (murdered out).

If anyone has any ideas to run by me that will be awesome questions are welcomed too but as i go along i will be posting pics and other tips on how i did, what ive done to my big baby

Attachments

• chevyboy89-77265-albums-garage-b-boi-7480-picture-my-big-baby-27845.jpg
    chevyboy89-77265-albums-garage-b-boi-7480-picture-my-big-baby-27845.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
OP
OP
ChevyBoy89

ChevyBoy89

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i found a small gas leak in the return line near the gas tank its kinda rusty. Will i have to drop the tank to repair the line.

if anyone could help me on this that would be awesome. Its cold and starting to snow here in wisconsin so the quicker response the better.....

OP
OP
ChevyBoy89

ChevyBoy89

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
still no help on those gas lines so my big baby is still sitting looking sad..

if anyone can give some input that would be awesome....

OP
OP
ChevyBoy89

ChevyBoy89

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So its been a while since i last posted about my progress.
i finally got the truck in a shop to get the lines done and that went well for a few months
i had gotten around to getting the interior finished before i started working on the rust when the oil pump failed.

Long story short.... that same night the engine locked up or i spun a bearing.

so im in the process of putting a engine i picked up from a 93 silverado with 113000 miles on it.

Only thing ive ran into is the silverado was a 2x4 so there is a few things i had to change over like the throttle body which really wasnt needed and the oil cooler system which im still debating because i dont use the 4x4 except in the winter which is over now hopefully!!!!

The new engine i got oil cooler lines are plugged with adapter bolts where the lines come from on my original engine.

Any ideas on if it would be a bad thing if the left newer engine as is and just put it in the truck without the lines or do i unplug the adapters and add the lines that always seem to leak??????

also will i need any help putting the engine in?? Im doing this alone and i need as much help as possible any suggestions is greatly appreciated

i got it out alone which wasnt too complicated until i got to the transmission bolts in between the engine and firewall the 2 at the top were a PITA i had to climb and lay on top of the engine to get to them

is there ANYTHING i should know before lifting and applying

This is my first engine swap job

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokin Denali

Latest posts