How to fix brake switch (not replace)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for this ,, you’ve described my issue almost to a T ,, on my 06 Yukon my top brake light still works but cruise and tail light brakes are not functional,, would you say I have the same issue ?
check all your fuses first, otherwise you may have a short in the tail light wiring or brake light harness or bulb socket, remove both tail lights and inspect and clean the bulb sockets and check for power with a meter if no power at the socket/s trace forward from there until you find the problem.
if the 3rd (high brake light) is working then the brake switch is good. The cruise function is finding a problem somewhere else, my guess is a fuse or wiring issue causing high or low ohm's on the circuit. If you find a blown fuse and the replacement blows again then this would also indicate a short, water intrusion, etc.

clandr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for this ,, you’ve described my issue almost to a T ,, on my 06 Yukon my top brake light still works but cruise and tail light brakes are not functional,, would you say I have the same issue ?

Did you install LED brake light bulbs? I've seen this causes the issue you describe if you don't include an inline resistor of some sort.
Additionally, does your horn work?

Last edited:

Mark Elliott

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did you install LED brake light bulbs? I've seen this causes the issue you describe if you don't include an inline resistor of some sort.
Additionally, does your horn work?
No LEDs and I’ll check my horn when I finish work

Mark Elliott

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I checked the 2 fuses that I figure could have something to do with it ,, cruise and the stop fuses are both good ( and my horn works )

Mark Elliott

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I checked the 2 fuses that I figure could have something to do with it ,, cruise and the stop fuses are both good ( and my horn works )
Just as a side note I only checked fuses at the drivers door panel ,, would there be a controlling fuse under the hood ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bsully456