How to fix brake switch (not replace)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With more Google digging it looks like the correct replacement for 25771554 is 15128874 not 15128592 (maybe for cars with powered pedal adjustment).

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
another thing that happens is the brake switch can get twisted slightly and won't make contact and therefore not work, the fix is to simply twist it back by hand a smidge
I don't know why gm does not make them so they will lock into a specific place but they don't.
That might be what happened to me yesterday after installing the new switch. The plunger wasn't getting depressed with the movement of the brake pedal. Dealing with that clip is a PITA.

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: switch is still working fine after about 2 1/2 years…
Did you insert the contacts and then get the plunger in and then the big spring?
I have my "new" switch apart now. I might be able to use the new contacts and put them in my old switch. Yes, takes quite a bit of pressure to get the bottom contact to connect. There is a point where all three connect or are close to that. Not sure if that is an issue.
I think by mounting this new switch upside down - the plunger was not pressed far enough to activate the brake circuit allowing the trans to come out of park.

OP
OP
treehan77

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
Sorry, I don’t remember except it was kind of a PITA with that spring. You’ll figure it out.

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking to get a new clip while I was at it and I see this "new" clip. It looks like you can screw in the bolt and then slide the clip off. Any thoughts on this?

stop lamp switch clip.jpg

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somewhat of a side note. I noticed a HVAC trouble code and my HVAC controls don't work very well (rotate the knobs and the numbers don't change easily) and I hear clicking/squealing - either a rat or an actuator is not happy. I found a YouTube on how to reset and recalibrate all the blend doors. I did that and thing worked as described - the controls are responsive and I don't hear clicking etc. so far. Great find. I figure most here know this but I didn't know there was a built in auto cal.