How to adjust the parking brake cable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LDiLapi

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently replaced the rear rotors and pads and figured I'd adjust the parking brake as well since I had everything apart and I noticed that it wasn't really working. I adjusted the parking brake shoes but the shoes still weren't grabbing. I had my son press the brake down and the shoes didn't even move. I checked the cable and while everything is intact, there is just too much slack for it to work properly. I looked for some cable adjustments, but I couldn't find one. Does anyone else have this problem?

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently replaced the rear rotors and pads and figured I'd adjust the parking brake as well since I had everything apart and I noticed that it wasn't really working. I adjusted the parking brake shoes but the shoes still weren't grabbing. I had my son press the brake down and the shoes didn't even move. I checked the cable and while everything is intact, there is just too much slack for it to work properly. I looked for some cable adjustments, but I couldn't find one. Does anyone else have this problem?
Assuming gmt800 or disc over drum rear brakes the cables stretch as a known issue the only way also assuming good shoes, maxxed adjusters , is A: new parking brake cables, B: manually adding tension pre brake shoe I do not advise doing it this way even if it’s “safe” parking brakes are technically emergency brakes.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Time for some new parking brake shoes and adjusters. Cleaned up and lubed under the top hat rotor.

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time for some new parking brake shoes and adjusters. Cleaned up and lubed under the top hat rotor.
I wish mine was that simple :pain: on my 01 I did both gonna try adjusting them this weekend to hopefully have a parking brake