Hitch Mounted Cargo Carrier (w/straight exhaust)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keg0brew

Reaction score
Anyone run long distances with a hitch mounted cargo carrier behind their Denali or HC? I’m looking to get one for my ‘22 Denali but am concerned that the hitch mounts directly inline with the quad exhaust tips. Curious if anyone has experienced any heating or melting of items mounted back there.

A 4” hitch riser/extension, or rack with a ~2” rise built in is the simple solution I would think, but not sure if that would be necessary. Any thoughts or previous experiences welcomed.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone run long distances with a hitch mounted cargo carrier behind their Denali or HC? I’m looking to get one for my ‘22 Denali but am concerned that the hitch mounts directly inline with the quad exhaust tips. Curious if anyone has experienced any heating or melting of items mounted back there.

A 4” hitch riser/extension, or rack with a ~2” rise built in is the simple solution I would think, but not sure if that would be necessary. Any thoughts or previous experiences welcomed.
Hadn't thought of that yet...but...definitely is a concern. Only time I actually do that is in the winter on an ice fishing trip..so may be less of a concern for me, but following to see what anyone says.

RVAHokie

Reaction score

I run one today on a Jeep GC with dual exhaust and no problems. I put coolers and hard plastic totes on my basket but even long distance there should be enough air flow so it only registers a few degrees hotter.

There's usually about 10-12 inches between the basket and the vehicle on mine

Tyrell

Reaction score
Here is a view from the rear with red outline where I think a cargo tray would be. Seems to me that even a cargo rack that comes straight out the receiver would be a few inches above the exhaust already, without a riser piece. Typically, the cargo trays consist of a square bar that goes into the receiver and the tray sits immediately on top of that, right?

1663256662748.png

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a view from the rear with red outline where I think a cargo tray would be. Seems to me that even a cargo rack that comes straight out the receiver would be a few inches above the exhaust already, without a riser piece. Typically, the cargo trays consist of a square bar that goes into the receiver and the tray sits immediately on top of that, right?

View attachment 380630
Yes, you are correct...usually they come straight out and the tray is on top. Based on this, should be good to go, I would think.

ProfeZZor X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check this one out by Wescott Designs... They made one a little over a year ago, and it seems to fit this 21' Yukon with no problem. It is rather pricey, but the quality looks to be all there.

66 Galaxie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wescott does nice work!

I was just think the other day that a hitch mount spare tire carrier would be great on our trucks.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The ones I have seen in rigs that are cheaply made, always sag and drag on ground when turn in to a lot with a dip at the entrance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17