Hi Guys! Looking for some info on pre-pre-purchae inspection.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GeoGoGo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good afternoon!

My local Carmax has a handful of of 14 to 17 Tahoes, Yukons, and Esclades. I am heading there now to check then out.

This is a very basic fact finding mission. I have no intention of buying yet. I want to sit in them and start them up. Just to get a feel for them.

What are some quick things to look for on these trucks? I am not climbing under them, I am it dressed for it! What should I be looking for?

I have only been a member for two weeks and just begun to explore this 'Hoe world! I want to get off on the right foot!

Thank you all for the time! Have a great day!

Respectfully,
George D.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure you get ALL service records. Some people just neglect basic things like oil changes. I would have a good independent mechanic put it on the rack and check everything out before buying. I recently came across someone with a 14 Hoe who had not changed his oil in 15K miles and he lives in Miami Beach where traffic is gridlocked 24/7.

Debonair

Reaction score
I looked at a 2013 at CarMax before buying my 2011. Now here in California rust is not an issue normally but under the hood of that 2013 everything was either rusted or corroded from wherever it came from. AC lines, frame, alternator, everything. I stuck my phone under the running board and snapped a couple pictures of the frame too. Rusted all over. Probably not dangerous but definitely not desirable.

tsuintx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I'm pretty sure all of them have fairly low miles, the usual stuff applies: sights, smells and sounds. Driving them will give you much more insight, but if you are not going to do that this time around, just look and listen for anything out of the ordinary, check all fluid levels etc.

Oil consumption due to AFM is one of the biggest issues with these things, but you won't be noticing that during a test drive. When ever you decide to buy one, just make sure you disable that thing as soon as possible.

Service records would be nice, but at least according to my experience, people tend not to save them and if they do, the dealers are usually throwing them away. Therefore, if you are not too familiar with these things, take the one you are mostly interested to a shop to have a PPI done. Money well spent and that way you'll at least know what to expect in the near future.

Chuck_Finley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best bet is service records on the ca fax or from a GM dealer. Carmax has a good reputation from what I’ve heard but I agree with the other poster to always pay a 3rd party for a ppi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ex Euro Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my ‘14 Yukon Denali from Carmax. I’ve been very happy with the purchase. Had to warranty a front transfer case but it was all covered. Just make sure the truck is from an area that doesn’t use salt on the road during winter. I waited for a truck that spent its entire life in California before I purchased and have never looked back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blokroknbeats