Has anyone put an IPAD in the dash??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gunslinger

Reaction score
Is there a manufacturer of dashes for an IPAD. I'd like to have an easy way to replace the stock radio with an IPAD and run the radio and navigation straight from the dash. I'm looking for a custom made dash especially for a 2000-2006 tahoe.

I saw a few guys trying to retrofit these and it looked pretty bad.

You would think there would be a company making these "dash mounts" for a numer of popular cars including a tahoe. I have been unable to find any except soundmanca. The link is below, but from what I can tell the company is only offering a little piece of square plastic (for 250 dollars) that the buyer must retrofit into his car.

http://www.soundmanca.com/ipad-mini...how-to-install-an-ipad-in-your-cars-dashboard

Also how difficult/involved would it be to integrate the ipad into the car speakers and possibly run the climate control (heat/ac/fan/etc) from the ipad.

Thank you for the help.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
in the 00-06 it would be pretty hard to get the AC in the iPad. I've seen it done in the 07+ in an Escalade but it was BIG MONEY to get the computer and software stuff to be able to link in to the factory computer to do that.

There isn't anyone currently selling a "buy this and just stick an iPad in it" kit for it right now.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay no body needs to playing on ther IPAD while there driving around most people in my state are bad enough drivers and have to many distractions already i can see the news report not pedestrian ran over by motorist using an IPAD while driving

mharders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try shooting alxs210 (alex) a PM he had an ipad installed in his Tahoe. Was a pretty clean looking install

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

guitarzombie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
connecting to the radio

I have an older 04 with no audio input to the stereo. I tried those radio frequency ones and they dont work. I bought the most expensive cassette adapter best buy had and it didn't work. Then I bought a cheap RCA one for 7$ and I can plug any device into my Radio. If the cassette is in a cleaning mode, it is simple to reset. Cheap and easy with a single wire coming out of the cassette which is easy to hide behind the trim.

Doverpoint

Reaction score
Why use Ipad in the dash? I used a cheap samsung 3 - 7" tab instead with an awesome pioneer head unit in by 2001 tahoe, and I like the android app choice better.

Lentsnh2012

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep! Ask any questions you have.

Unfortunately, you are not able to work the AC system with the iPad; its wayyy too complicated. As for the sound to go through the vehicle's speakers, I just use the Bluetooth feature on my Alpine single DIN headunit paired to my iPad. Then, I have both Metra interfaces, so that the Bose system works flawlessly and I can use my steering wheel controls. If someone is riding with me and wants to hook up their device for a few songs, I have an AUX cord coming from the Onstar wiring harness behind the dash that can handle that duty.

The iPad is held in the same way as SoundMan's tray. Although, I didn't have the heart to cut up a $50 Smart Cover, so I just bought 6 3/8" Rare Earth magnets and stuck them into the fiberglass resin while it was drying.

If you're interested, I am thinking about trying to get a run of my own iPad/iPad Mini trays molded up. They will be made out of a thicker ABS, that way you can use whatever type of epoxy you want. I would need a good bit of interest to even consider having them made- the mold alone is ~$400. I would sell the trays at cost; it would be about $75.

I'll get some updated pictures tomorrow- apparently I never took finished pictures... :rollseyes:

null_zps0848f224.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zackhettinger14

Latest posts