GMX 550... Comprehensive features guide: Lower your expectations and you'll be fine!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K_ddsl

Reaction score
***** WARNING: Extremely long post! *****

I did a ton of research on the options available for getting modern day features installed insofar as entertainment system in my truck (08 Yukon Denali).

During the research phase, I kept swinging back and forth between replacing the whole OE head unit with something like the new, yet to be released, Kenwood DNX-9990HD, to Nav-TV and to the GMX 550.

After reading just about every snipped of information on the web I could find, I got a fairly good deal on a new GMX 500 ($258) shipped, and decided to try it out. I had a buyer lined up for it in case I decided I could not live with it, so I pulled the trigger.

From the get go, I was already familiar with all the quirks from what everyone was posting about it.
Realize this, however, we are installing something to add features to our head unit that our head unit was never designed to do. Given this fact, we must be prepared to live with some quirks, otherwise, we have set our expectations too high and are bound to be disappointed.

On to the features install then...

Early on, I decided I want to install and activate all the features made possible by the GMX 550.

1- DVD and Expanded RSE:
Beside DVD in motion, the GMX 550 allows us to connect two more monitors for rear seat entertainment besides the roof drop down unit.
With three kids who sometimes won't agree on what to watch simply out of principle, this feature proved to be very important:
- I installed and connected two headrest units.
- The GMX allows me to chose what is being displayed on the headrest units, i.e. syncing them with the factory unit or sending a different video signal to them.
- Careful selection of the headrest units themselves allows for a couple of interesting possibilities here. The headrest units I chose have there own headphones, each independent of the other. They also have a built in DVD player so they can operate totally independently of the GMX 550 and the head unit. They also come with a Game DVD and wireless game controller.
- With the above features, the possibilities for the rear seat entertainment for the kids are endless:
A- All three units, headrest and roof mount, display the same program.
B- The roof unit plays the head unit dvd while the headrest units play the iPod/iPad a/v signal routed through the Lockpick.
C- The roof unit plays the head unit dvd while one headrest unit plays the iPod/iPad signal and the other headrest unit plays off of the built in dvd or plays games.
D- Any combination of the above.
You can see why, with three kids, this alone is worth the price of admission.

2- iPhone/iPod/iPad:
Not much to add here. This has been written about in depth on the forum.
The GMX will charge your idevices and can route audio and video to the head unit.
Apps that support video out will also display.
Jailbroken devices can have an app installed that will route all apps video to be displayed, even if the app does not support video out.
iPhone contacts with saved photos will display the photo of the contact upon receiving a call from that contact.
I know that some people were having problems routing video from some Apple devices to the head unit. A quick search on the web indicates that you need to dabble with the dip switches on the back of GMX in order for some cars to be able to receive the full A/V signals from advices.
For me, all the dipswitches in the standard up position did the trick. At least for my own idevices. I run an iPhone 4, iPod Touch and iPad 2. They all work great. I can't say for other devices as I have not tested them.

3- Cameras:
A- Rear factory camera: Straight forward follow the manual install gives you the ability to have the camera's signal come on when you shift to reverse (as the OE function) WITHOUT having to splice into the camera's cable below the front passenger seat. Splicing into the camera's cable below the front passenger seat gives you the additional ability to activate the rear camera's video signal at will from the GMX's menu.

B- Side camera: I went ahead and installed side cameras. The GMX allows you to automatically activate the video signal when you turn on the side turn indicators. You turn your indicator left/right, the left/right camera signal activates and is routed to your head unit's display, overriding whatever video signal is playing at the moment (it leaves audio alone). Indicator off, the camera's signal switches off and you go back to watching whatever video signal you were watching before.
Note: A proper install on this will allow you to eliminate the side blind spots when you are moving from lane to lane. I found this great honestly.

C- Front Camera: I also installed the front camera as a what-the-heck and because-I-can decision. Turns out this feature was greatly appreciated by my wife!
You can set the GMX settings so that the front camera comes on automatically when you are moving forward with your speed below 5mph or so, and it switches off automatically when your speed goes higher. My wife found this great while slowing down to park as she can now see any obstruction ahead of her. Nice...

4- Bluetooth:
This is the one feature I have yet to install.
I was trying to hunt down one of the VCIM modules off of the newer trucks that have BT functionality. This proved to be exceedingly difficult to locate.
In a way, I am glad I did not locate it.
Further research led me to settle on the Parrot MKi9000. This gives me the ability to sync two BT phones simultaneously and I can install the steering controls thingy which is small and ergonomically acceptable (to me). It also hooks up to the GMX 550 and is completely compatible with it. It has the ability to sync the phonebooks of up to eight phones, voice command dialling, etc...

I ordered it and I will update this thread once installed.

5- Annoyances/Irritations/Quibbles:
Pretty much standard and par for the course from what everyone has already mentioned.
1- Having to press the mute button 4 times (minor to moderate irritation, depending on how many times per trip you need to access menus).
2- iDevices audio quality, while not horrible, leaves a lot to be desired (moderate to major irritation, but you get used to it).
3- When watching a DVD in full screen mode, every time a camera signal interrupts and ends, the full screen mode is switched back to normal mode and you have to re-press full screen mode (minor irritation).
4- Nav on the go quirks, but then again, that depends on how often you need to have satnav guidance active. For me, it is rare that I need it, maybe a handful of time a year and I can go without DVD/iPod on the go while using it and just switch to plain old CDs for that trip. So, for me, non-issue. It may be different for others.

6- Costs:
- Lockpick GMX 500: $258 Shipped
- Headrest units, 7 inch display, built in DVD and Game Disk/controller with wireless headphones: $300 (both)
- Front/Left/Right cameras, Phillips with night vision capability: $205 (all three)
- Parrot MKi9000: $125 shipped
- Installation costs (not diy bec. of the cameras. etc...): $250

Total cost so far: $1,138
The only thing pending is the install cost of the Parrot BT unit. Should not be more than $25 to $30.

In closing, if you go into this install with a realistic expectation of the unit's strengths and weaknesses, and you want to have all the features activated (specially cameras), and are willing to live with its quirks, it is great to have. I personally have grown very fond of my unit.

I will update this thread with photos and maybe a video of all the cameras in operation and install locations in the coming few days as I will be attending a three day conference at work.

cdellose

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Great write up, thank you for sharing! I am debating on what I want

OP
OP
K_ddsl

K_ddsl

Reaction score
Thanks.

Forgot to add one more quibble. While using the idevices, you cannot skip forward/back tracks using any of the steering wheel buttons. Instead, you've got to reach across your head unit to the right side top knob and rotate clockwise for skip forward and anticlockwise for skip back.
Again, minor quibble but needs a mention.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout