Getting ripped off up North (Canada) ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ivanhoe

Reaction score
Hello, just having a gripe about parts costs here in Canada.
I have been shopping for various parts as usual and been shocked by the low USA prices. US price 102...Canada 242
Even with online exchange rate that US dollar price of $102 would be approx C$142 ...yet it's C$242. I can get from a well known vendor (RA) in the USA and get it shipped to Canada for less that the cost of what it should be. The heavier items shipping is what kills the bargains from down south. Yes I avoid that retailer if I can....although not always possible.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221019-230504_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20221019-230504_Firefox.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20221019-230424_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20221019-230424_Firefox.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, just having a gripe about parts costs here in Canada.
I have been shopping for various parts as usual and been shocked by the low USA prices. US price 102...Canada 242
Even with online exchange rate that US dollar price of $102 would be approx C$142 ...yet it's C$242. I can get from a well known vendor (RA) in the USA and get it shipped to Canada for less that the cost of what it should be. The heavier items shipping is what kills the bargains from down south. Yes I avoid that retailer if I can....
Taxes or import fees driving up the costs? I think medicine is the opposite.

m1dn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the us border far out?
I’m in Southern Ontario and i either order parts in bulk from Rockauto or hop over the order and buy there.

Canadian mechanic fees and parts are scam.

Went through every local parts shop recently thinking I’ll support them with my money for once, looking for o2 sensor.

120$ plus tax for a single sensor is what every shop told me…..
Rockautoed all 4 for i think 80$ with 10$ shipping.

jared999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if they charge more in Canada but Rock Auto gets my vote.
I've purchased thousands of dollars worth of parts from them over the years.
Make sure you get / use your 5% off discount!

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
The dude in this thread nailed it ...

The UPS brokerage fee for a $160 order will be probably another $50, which you will have to pay on delivery. FedEx is even more. USPS / Canada Post will only be about a $10 fee. Your best bet is to set up an account in Blaine at a package receiving service. Security Mail is one, but there are several.

It only costs I think five bucks to set it up. Shipping will then be 1/4 of shipping to Canada, and you can fill up with cheap gas when you go get the items :) Anything made in North America comes across duty free.