Found a decent headlight restoration kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wing Bucket

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hanging out with my dad over the holidays, he showed me a headlight restoration kit he used on his 97 Z71 pickup lenses. It was a Sylvania kit from Autozone.

He had some of everything left over, so I talked him into letting me try it on mine. I restored a glazed-over headlight and both parking lights and they turned out great! Several steps to it, but I was pleased with the outcome.

Aftermarket replacement lenses aren't too crazy expensive....but if you're looking to save a little cash and not add to the landfill, seems like a good value.

Yukongk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the 3M restoration kit in the past. It involved using a drill with a rotary disc that you Velcro sand paper to. First step was an aggressive sandpaper that Frosted the lens. Each step requires a finer sandpaper until you polish them crystal clear. Great kit.

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wet sand them with 2k grit, then hit them with the buffer, compound then polish, finish with a clearcoat.
Turns them crystal clear with hardly any labor.

Most the time heavy cutting Compound and a orange pad from lake country (autogeek.net), removes the old clear coat in seconds.

15mins max for both lenses.

Last edited:

nick2440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just used a kit called Quikx i think. It was from walmart for 15 bucks and it did an amazing job.

latemate

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Tried both Mothers and Meguiars HL restoration kit. I find Meguiars heavy duty restoration kit much effective but more expensive compared to Mothes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvain_Yukon