Finally found the cause of my service 4wd error....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yooformula

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Busted wheel bearing and stripped axle half shaft! The error code kept popping up on the dash and the switch kept flashing for the last few days then today it began to make an intermittent loud grinding noise. I ended up pulling the wheel, caliper and rotor off and began tugging on the bearing only to find 1/4" of play in the damm thing! As I got around to pulling it apart, I noticed the teeth on the cv shaft were ground smooth! And to think I replaced the switching module earlier thinking the problem was in the transfer case and it was the bearing all along taking a shit!

bearing $150 + cv shaft assmbly $130 + lost wages from work $150 = too damm much!

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sucks, at least it is those items instead of the big daddy expensive ones, got any pics of the carnage? Are you going to do the work yourself?

OP
OP
yooformula

yooformula

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just finished the son of a *****! I cant believe how much it must have been dragging, for the last few weeks it felt like a hung up caliper, there was knocking when turning, a rattle in the front end and the steering wheel wasnt straight, it drives so much smoother now and is dead silent and pulls nice and straight. I didnt get any pics of the half shaft but that thing was ****** too, the teeth on the end of the shaft were rounded off and smooth and the the joints were crunching and very loose. Good thing I didnt wait for a shop because I would have had to drive it and that bearing was just a few whacks away from falling apart. the vid I took of the bearing movement was crazy!

just a small gap.....
IMG_0139.sized.jpg
IMG_0140.sized.jpg

did not like the sledgehammer..
IMG_0141.sized.jpg
IMG_0143.sized.jpg

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang that's alot of play. I was hoping a person could diagnose a bearing issue like that with the wheel on (ie find some play), and not have to pull off everything. There goes my limited diagnostic repertoire.

Wonder why you were getting the flashing light on 4wd switch...do you run with AWD on? I thought the fronts were disengaged in 2wd mode? Yeah, noob questions, just trying learn.

OP
OP
yooformula

yooformula

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was getting the flashing light in 2wd and the few times I used the auto 4wd mode as well. I checked the wheels a couple of weeks ago by moving the entire rim around but got no signs of play especially not this much. I am just glad the knocking, loose steering and other issues are done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bos7414