factory NAV not reading map DVD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boomsticks

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
anyone run into this problem?

I just got a 2004 Z71 Tahoe with the factory NAV. Now once I have removed the map dvd and put it back in, it will not read. It keeps giving me the message that is cant read the disk. and that the disk might be dirty or damaged.

The disk doesnt look damaged or dirty to me.

This is really bumming me out considering that I just got the car. :disgust:

Anyone have a suggestion on how to fix it?

magicbus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ditch the factory junk and go for a superior aftermarket unit?

Sorry that's my only advice, but as a car stereo guy trying to keep the industry alive, that's what I would do. The other option is take it to the stealership and see what they will do aside from stick it in dry.

OP
OP
B

boomsticks

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not really what i am looking for. An aftermkt does not interface with the rear radio controls or the overhead entertainment system. And I hear the Bose speaker system doesn't go with an after market stereo very good.

I am thinking the CD loading tray must be jammed up in there. It sounds like its binding when it loads the disk. I guess I will open it up myself and take a look.

I like it sounds and I like how everything is integrated together. I agree the navigation sucks pretty hard. Especially compared to my Garmin chartplotter. But that is not enough for me to shitcan it yet.

magicbus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right, there are people who will repair them, I just can't remember the names of the companies we used to send them to. I wish you the best of luck with it. There are repair services for auction on ebay, but I've never known anyone to use them. It is frustrating to buy a vehicle with such issues. My XL was like that but I used all of that as a haggling point. The factory 6-disc was jammed as most of them are and the stepper motors were bad. There was also a handful of little parts that need to be replaced that children typically destroy. I didn't really mind because I got a $16,000 vehicle for under $10,000. Truth is, I replaced all steppers for $25 and the whole process took about 15 minutes. I had a radio sitting in my garage so the changer wasn't an issue since it would've eventually come out anyway.

OP
OP
B

boomsticks

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I talked with sempco on madison heights mi. The repair oem radios. If it is the tray it will be less than 200. That is my second choice. If i cant fix it myself. But if its more maybe i should replace.

I am having the cluster steppers done tonight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BattleBorn