**Engine Failure** Replacement Options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TNRacedoc

Reaction score
Wife was driving home on the interstate, gets an error message regarding Stabili-track. Car isn't running or handling any different but she makes her way over toward the shoulder to stop and take inventory. Before she gets to the roadside, she hears/feels a loud "clunk", and the motor begins making "a horrible noise". Three different mechanics have declared the engine DOA at 140K miles. Each is also scratching his head, due to the reputation of this engine being historically durable.

Vehicle was well-maintained with no current mechanical issues. I have no idea why it tanked, but I guess I'm glad it didn't happen while we were far from home.

Anyway...dealer wants $9,900 to replace. Unacceptable.
Now we're debating between a "recycled" engine and a "remanufactured" one.

Any opinions/advice?

about20ninj45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
depending how bad the block internals are damaged, you could buy a new block for 800 and transfer over the usable parts. There are guys selling ls3 dropout shortblock for 2300 bucks. I would browse craigslist or lkq motors for just the shortblock and then transfer of the rest of the other things from your current block, like heads, intake, altenator etc etc. You could then( if not damdged badly) turn around and sell your old block if all it needs is a bore job done to it. Do you know what failed exactly on the engine?

OP
OP
TNRacedoc

TNRacedoc

Reaction score
depending how bad the block internals are damaged, you could buy a new block for 800 and transfer over the usable parts. There are guys selling ls3 dropout shortblock for 2300 bucks. I would browse craigslist or lkq motors for just the shortblock and then transfer of the rest of the other things from your current block, like heads, intake, altenator etc etc. You could then( if not damdged badly) turn around and sell your old block if all it needs is a bore job done to it. Do you know what failed exactly on the engine?

I'm not certain. It all happened while I was out of town. My wife talked to the mechanics. All three, she said, just sort of shook their heads as if they were giving her news of a family member passing away... The last one (where the car is now) texted me, "the motor is toast...definitely going to need a new one."

about20ninj45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you have basic hand tools, you can break that thing down yourself and have a look. Sometimes mechanics will tell you that becasue they dont want to crack it open. Cam had spun a bearing on mine, but the mechanic just told me i needed a new engine because they didnt want to tear into it. I bought a use motor, put that in and kept my old motor to tear into to see the damage, which wasnt bad. needless to say i had a machine shop clean it up and i later resold it.

67RS427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not certain. It all happened while I was out of town. My wife talked to the mechanics. All three, she said, just sort of shook their heads as if they were giving her news of a family member passing away... The last one (where the car is now) texted me, "the motor is toast...definitely going to need a new one."

Toast meaning what? It dropped a valve? Spun a main bearing? I would say rebuild... Any shop can R & R an engine for $600ish and it would be way less than $9k for a rebuild. Even add some goodies while it's apart...

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Michael, what a awful situation for you/yours, time to regroup. First, I don't see what year your SUV is, and definitely the dealer is absurd in their pricing. This requires major work, don't know if your equipped to tackle this type of repair or not.
Depending on the value of your ride, a major cost of this kind sometimes will put you upside down in your investment. Whatever the cost is, you will never recapture the added expense when it's time to pass this vehicle on to someone else. I was born/raised in TN. and there has to be someone who would tackle this job for you @ a fair price, @ least that's my gut feeling. Depending where you live, maybe I could give you a starting place. JMHO and good luck to you/yours.
David g................:2cents:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Obviously, speaking in such general terms should send up red flags. If they're not willing to even investigate and want you to throw a bunch of money at it because they're lazy, have it towed home and go from there. Don't let those fools pressure you or your wife while you're away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flem2009