DVD/CD stuck inside headunit, won't eject, lots of clicking.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2014 Yukon SLT w/Bose nav screen, single disc slot CD/DVD player. Every function was working 100%. No known issues.

All that being said, I went to eject a DVD yesterday, and I can see it peek out a few millimeters with 20 or so loud clicks, before being sucked back into the abyss. The disc won't play.

All other functions work fine: radio, AUX input, USB iPod audio, etc...

What's the play here? Do I assume the feed mechanism has died, and the stupid head unit needs to be replaced? Is there an easy way to play DVDs for the gremlins in the back, and not need to buy a new head unit?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get something long, flat and thin, like a feeler gage, and see if you can get under it and pop it up, when you see it peek up.

Years ago, one of my sons thought that the CD door was the door to a spare change holder. That was fun.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Charlie207

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get something long and flat, like a feeler gage, and see if you can get under it and pop it up, when you see it peek up.

Years ago, one of my sons thought that the CD door was the door to a spare change holder. That was fun.

I'll give that a try when I take lunch.

OP
OP
Charlie207

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O3ok9I3.jpg

Got the offending disc out of the slot; it required minimal effort to pull out. I slid the disc back into the player, and it was sucked in as normal, and ejected normally x3, so the mechanism is working fine.

But, the disc isn't being recognized or read, so I tried some other DVDs, and none of them are being read as well.

Is there an A/V reset sequence I can attempt before ripping the stock POS out of the dash?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some CDs are not recognized, due to various reasons, usually from minute damage. Does that CD play in another player?

OP
OP
Charlie207

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some CDs are not recognized, due to various reasons, usually from minute damage. Does that CD play in another player?

None of the four DVDs in heavy rotation were recognized by the head unit in my test, after I pulled this stuck DVD out. They all worked 100% in my Yukon prior to this issue.

Data on a CD/DVD is read from the center out to the edge, and there is damage/scratching only on the outer portions of this particular disc. It should work fine.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
probably time to yank that obsolete thing out and throw in a real deck, bad time though right now prices are sky high for anything decent anyway.
maybe look for a used one on ebay
the wireless pioneer and kenwood are good if you get one that is a couple years old the price isn't too bad

OP
OP
Charlie207

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it work now in another player?

Three of the four discs play fine in an old laptop. The disc I yanked out starts fine (home menu), but has issues in later chapters towards the end of the movie; the surface was fairly scuffed in the middle of the disc.

OP
OP
Charlie207

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
probably time to yank that obsolete thing out and throw in a real deck, bad time though right now prices are sky high for anything decent anyway.
maybe look for a used one on ebay
the wireless pioneer and kenwood are good if you get one that is a couple years old the price isn't too bad

What models are you referring to? I was browsing Crutchfield and B&H Photo last night before my GF said, "hey dummy, lets go get drinks". The search for a new head-unit crashed to a halt at that point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE

Latest posts