Dropping fuel pressure at WOT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BluHoe96

Reaction score
Ok, so after I have gotten my tranny rebuilt I was heading home from work. All of a sudden the truck bogs out. So I let off the throttle. After laying in traffic for 20 min the bogging occurs at part throttle too as well as WOT. Took it home and let it sit for a day.

Next day checked the fuel pressure:
Key turned and ignition off - 62 psi
Ignition on at idle - 50-52psi

So I assumed that my fuel pressure was good. Pulled the MAF and sprayed the crap out of it with MAF cleaner as well as the IAT and the harnesses. Got a little more throttle response out of the truck after doing this. I figured great!

This morning after my hour drive to work accelerating out of the toll booths the truck bogs a little bit again at 3/4 throttle. Got to work and hooked up the fuel pressure gauge again. Same a reading at idle and with key on. Then decided to drive with the gauge in.

Took off at WOT and saw the gauge drop to about 28 psi! Part throttle she sits at about 40 psi. So I am definitely not maintaining my pressure.

What is my fuel pressure supposed to be during engine load? Do I have to maintain above 60 psi all the time? How else can i further troubleshoot to confirm that it is my fuel pump and not my regulator, voltage to pump, etc? I just want to make sure my pump is crap because I just changed it last year and only have about 25k miles on it. And I HATED doing it!

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No leaks that you can see?? When I swapped the pump in my 95 the lil flex tube in the tank had a pin hole in it ... was fine at idle but under load it effected flow and pressure enough to not run right.

OP
OP
B

BluHoe96

Reaction score
Yea I wish I had a way right now to see my afr, but don't have a tool right now. I guess to properly go through everything I will have to drop the tank regardless. Sux...

gregsb

Reaction score
Either you have a leak or restriction in your supply line or your fuel pump is not operating correctly.

When was the last time you changed your fuel filter? If it is old and partially clogged then that can cause a reduction in pressure.

When you shut down your truck does the system still hold pressure? If not then you have a leak somewhere.

If it does hold pressure then I would suspect the fuel pump assembly. I had the small hose that goes between the pump and the sending unit fail on a brand new ACdelco pump so it may not be the pump itself.

Hope this helps some.

OP
OP
B

BluHoe96

Reaction score
Thanks that sounds like the same hose retorq said he had a pinhole in. When I shut off the truck it takes a minute for the pressure to climb to 58 psi and 2 minutes for it to climb up to 62 psi. That part to me seemed good. This tells me my regulator is good or no?

gregsb

Reaction score

99 2dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine had the same pin hole as retorq. Started and ran great as long as it had a full tank of fuel. Have you tried filling the tank and taking note of the fuel level when the problem occurs?

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would go the easiest cheapest way first. Sounds like the fuel filter, and if not at least you will have a new filter on it to rule out.

OP
OP
B

BluHoe96

Reaction score
Mine had the same pin hole as retorq. Started and ran great as long as it had a full tank of fuel. Have you tried filling the tank and taking note of the fuel level when the problem occurs?

It does it no matter what the level. I topped it off Monday when it did it first, and it did it less severe today with the tank at half. It seems to do it though at the end of my 1.25 hr. commute and less time if I am sitting in traffic. Could this be the fuel pump harness heating up and impeding voltage?

I would go the easiest cheapest way first. Sounds like the fuel filter, and if not at least you will have a new filter on it to rule out.

Have a NIB one on my passenger seat waiting to go in this afternoon. I will see if the situation improves after this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Naileddown