Does my truck have stabilitrac or autotrac?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eagle_XL

Reaction score
04 Yukon XL. No button for 2WD on the dash. Which do I have?

Is there any good info on how each of the systems work?

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Eagle_XL

Reaction score
Ok, it has stabilitrak. Here's a couple excerpts on the Stabilitrak system:

http://media.gm.com/division/2004_prodinfo/gmc/yukon/index.html said:
Meanwhile, GM's four-channel StabiliTrak stability enhancement system continues to be available on all Yukon and Yukon XL 1500 models. StabiliTrak helps the driver maintain control of the vehicle in sudden maneuvers, particularly in low traction conditions, in emergency lane changes, and during avoidance maneuvers. If the system determines that the vehicle is not responding appropriately to the driver's steering, StabiliTrak precisely reduces engine torque and applies precise amounts of pressure to the individual brakes to slow the vehicle and help bring it back to its intended path.

http://www.acarplace.com/brands/gm/gadgets.html said:
GM writes: "StabiliTrak 2.0, an improved version of the most advanced integrated stability control system in the world... includes side-slip rate control and active steering effort compensation. Introduced on three performance-oriented Cadillac models in the 1997 model year, StabiliTrak provides an important safety advance by helping the driver maintain control during emergency or evasive maneuvers. StabiliTrak works by comparing the driver’s intentions (indicated by steering wheel position) with how the vehicle is responding. Three key sensors keep the ABS and traction control computer informed: one reads steering wheel angle, another reports the vehicle’s lateral acceleration and the third measures yaw rate (rotational velocity about a vertical axis through the car’s center of gravity). Information is also gathered from vehicle speed.

"If the vehicle’s dynamic response does not agree with the direction the driver is steering, StabiliTrak goes to work by selectively applying the individual front brakes to help keep the car on the intended course. If the car is slipping wide of the desired path in a turn, applying the inside brake helps the vehicle turn tighter. In case of diminished traction at the rear causing the tail of the car to drift wide, activating the outside-front brake gently nudges the car back in line. StabiliTrak is automatic and requires no additional driver action. In most cases, the driver probably won’t even notice the helping hand from this technically sophisticated system....Unlike stability control systems from other manufacturers, Cadillac’s system maintains the driver’s ability to apply throttle in StabiliTrak maneuvers."

Now I'm looking to find out what differences there are between the trucks that have 2WD/4WD buttons, vs. my Yukon XL SLT which does not have the 2WD button.

Basically, does the truck have a any type of anti-slip or locking differentials? Sounds to me like Stabilitrak doesn't have the ability to individually power each wheel, rather its an enhanced stability control system. I want to know if I should slap a locker in the rear diff before winter! :)

05Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look in your glove box for the "G80" code. If you have that you already have a rear locker. Most of these trucks come standard with them. If you have stablitrack you will have a button to the right of your climate controls. If you push it you should get a stablitrack off message in the DIC.

Clemsonbloz

Reaction score
on my 04 the stabilitrak button is on the left of the cluster, above the headlight switch.. Top button turns off TC and stabilitrak.

vatahoelt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i wouldn't bother putting in a locker. not worth it in my opinion.

Last edited:

NoChrome

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would bother putting in a locker. not worth it in my opinion.

I think that is more of an objective imput, lockers can be very useful in inclimate weather, or playing around off road or even when drag launching 6000lbs at a stop light. I have one, I use it more than I pr'olly should. Worth every penny in my book. But again this is all objective. And my only credentials to back this up is personal experience, Yukonjacks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz