Dashboard Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPB07Denali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2007 6.2 Denali XL with 175,000 miles on it and I still love it.
I have owned it for 6 years.
My problem is with the dashboard lights. They go off when I back out of the garage and go back on when I drive back in. I know about the 2007 service bulletin to fix this and I do not know if my vehicle has the fix or not.
At night the lights function perfectly including the dimmer capability knob.
I am too cheap to pay for the new module.
I tried covering the light sensor on the top of the dash - that does not fix my problem.
Is there another light sensor someplace that I have to cover to make the dash lights stay on during the day?
Is there another way to fool the system so that it thinks it is night?
Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2007 6.2 Denali XL with 175,000 miles on it and I still love it.
I have owned it for 6 years.
My problem is with the dashboard lights. They go off when I back out of the garage and go back on when I drive back in. I know about the 2007 service bulletin to fix this and I do not know if my vehicle has the fix or not.
At night the lights function perfectly including the dimmer capability knob.
I am too cheap to pay for the new module.
I tried covering the light sensor on the top of the dash - that does not fix my problem.
Is there another light sensor someplace that I have to cover to make the dash lights stay on during the day?
Is there another way to fool the system so that it thinks it is night?
Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks
I’m sorry that this is going to be a useless reply for you, but I thought that that’s how the dashboard lights are supposed to work on a 2007. I’ve only had mine for a few years, and that’s exactly what they do. It’s frustrating, because sometimes the gauges are hard to see during the daytime. I will start investigating this as well and share anything I learn with you.

Keanen55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, that is what they are supposed to do! I'm sure that they are on when you're driving at night. You can adjust how bright they are by using the smaller knob next to the main light switch to the left. Press the small knob in and twist to adjust brightness. There's nothing wrong with your dash lights!

OP
OP
JPB07Denali

JPB07Denali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Thanks for showing interest in my situation.
Both of Your comments led me to do some more reading.
I went and read the owners manual again - very slowly and carefully this time. My dashboard Lights are indeed designed to turn OFF when the Daylight Running Lamps are turned ON. This happens when I select AUTO headlight mode - which I have always used.
To turn the dashboard lights on during the day I have to select full headlight ON not AUTO.
Obviously the folks who designed this feature never drove during the day.
So you helped me learn how to turn on my dashboard lights.
Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645